Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67301
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone using robocopy?" Previous topic | Next topic
tamphlett Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Wed 24-Apr-13 11:48 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone using robocopy?"

GB

Hi All,

I am looking at optimizing my workflow and as I often shoot jpeg & RAW together I am looking at a simple way to copy the JPEGs to one set of directories and the RAWs somewhere else. (A bit like when we used to get prints & negatives all nicely sorted out for us?)

I can set up a batch file using robocopy, but an old thread on this forum suggests that there may be issues using robocopy on a 64 bit Windows O/S.

Anyone using this approach? Any current issues? Any suggested (simple) alternatives?

My Nikonians Gallery

Tim Amphlett
Lancs, UK

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Wed 24-Apr-13 12:44 PM
9536 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Anyone using robocopy?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

As far as I know, the only issue with robocopy itself is that you usually want to use the magic /xj flag to exclude junctions.

OTOH, if you use Robocopy to move files when Windows or some application wants them in a specific spot, you may want to learn to curse in multiple languages. It won't fix things, but it may reduce the urge to take a hammer to your PC.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

tamphlett Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 25-Apr-13 06:50 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone using robocopy?"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 25-Apr-13 06:52 AM by tamphlett

GB

Hi benveniste,

Good call on /xj. Not having used robocopy before I'd have missed that.

My Post Processing needs are largely simple, so I don't think I'll need to become fluent in several languages yet!

Thanks,

Tim

My Nikonians Gallery

Tim Amphlett
Lancs, UK

tamphlett Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 25-Apr-13 05:51 PM
#3. "RE: Anyone using robocopy?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 25-Apr-13 05:53 PM by tamphlett

GB

Should anyone be interested, I'm posting the batch script I've used. Works on 64 bit Windows 7 at least.

Disclaimer: Supplied as-is, no warranty implied! Please check it works for you before using in anger on anything you value. The script does not delete images from the camera, so check you have what you expected before pressing the camera "Delete All" button.

Note: Be sure that you set the File Number Sequence (Option d7 on a D90) to 'On' else you might end up overwriting some images!

Also you will need to change the directories to suit your set-up. Final gotcha: you need to use a card reader, this will not work direct from the camera!

@echo off

set /p desc= "Shoot description >"

SET n_path="C:\Users\Public\Negatives\%date:~-4,4%_%date:~-7,2%_%date:~-10,2% %desc%"
SET j_path="C:\Users\Public\Pictures\%date:~-4,4%_%date:~-7,2%_%date:~-10,2% %desc%"

set source="g:\DCIM"

for /r %source% %%F in (.) do (

if "%%~fF" neq %n_path% ROBOCOPY "%%F" %n_path% *.nef /R:0 /XJ

if "%%~fF" neq %j_path% ROBOCOPY "%%F" %j_path% *.jpg /R:0 /XJ

)

My Nikonians Gallery

Tim Amphlett
Lancs, UK

tamphlett Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Fri 03-May-13 01:08 PM
#4. "RE: Anyone using robocopy?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Right, I have finalised my script (for now!) I have downloaded exiv2 from www.exiv2.org which enables the script to automatically include my copyright, etc. in the exif data for each image.

See above for disclaimers, etc.

@echo on

SETLOCAL

set /p desc= "Shoot description >"

SET n_path="C:\Users\Public\Negatives\%date:~-4,4%_%date:~-7,2%_%date:~-10,2% %desc%"
SET j_path="C:\Users\Public\Pictures\%date:~-4,4%_%date:~-7,2%_%date:~-10,2% %desc%"

set source="g:\DCIM"

for /r %source% %%F in (.) do (

if "%%~fF" neq %n_path% ROBOCOPY "%%F" %n_path% *.nef /R:0 /XJ

if "%%~fF" neq %j_path% ROBOCOPY "%%F" %j_path% *.jpg /R:0 /XJ

)

echo add Exif.Image.Artist Ascii "Tim Amphlett" > exiv2.dat
echo add Exif.Image.Copyright "Copyright © %date:~-4,4% Tim Amphlett. All Rights Reserved." >> exiv2.dat
echo add Iptc.Application2.Copyright "Copyright © %date:~-4,4% Tim Amphlett. All Rights Reserved." >> exiv2.dat
echo add Exif.Image.ImageDescription "%date:~-4,4%_%date:~-7,2%_%date:~-10,2% %desc%" >> exiv2.dat

cd %n_path%

for %%I IN (%n_path%\*.NEF) do "E:\Users\Mum and Dad\exiv2" -v -m exiv2.dat "%%I"

cd %j_path%

for %%J IN (%j_path%\*.JPG) do "E:\Users\Mum and Dad\exiv2" -v -m exiv2.dat "%%J"

del "E:\Users\Mum and Dad\exiv2.dat"

EXIT /B

My Nikonians Gallery

Tim Amphlett
Lancs, UK

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67301 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.