Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67288
View in linear mode

Subject: "DxO Optics Pro Camera/Lens Profiles" Previous topic | Next topic
mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Wed 10-Apr-13 06:48 AM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DxO Optics Pro Camera/Lens Profiles"
Wed 10-Apr-13 07:21 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

I have read in earlier posts that some Nikonians are not happy with the amount of time DxO takes to get a Camera/Lens Profile produced. For me this is not a big issue because I can use DxO Optics Pro to manually make changes to the image and then save the settings as a preset for future use. I only have a few days experience with DxO Optics Pro, but it is easy to make presets. You basically create your own Camera/Lens Profile.

DxO's Tech Support also told me that they prioritize Camera/Lens Profiles based on requests from users. Here is a link to a request form to suggest a Camera/Lens combination:

http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/support/modules/availability/pb_availability

Be sure to check if your Camera/Lens combinations is not already supported with a DxO Profile by consulting the list of supported equipment:

http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/dxo_optics_pro/for_your_equipment

DxO's Tech Support also outlined what goes into each Camera/Lens Profile:

"They (DxO Technicians) put a lot of work into thoses modules. A prime lens requires something pushing a few thousand target shots & analysis. A zoom lens probably 10,000 target shots & analysis. Plus a bunch of measurement made on the lenses themselves and camera plus lens combinations to include secondary effects due to the sensors. You can easily burn one to a few person-weeks making these. The logistics can get shall we say interesting, when you are talking about older lenses because ideally you want brand new lenses (think finding one or two of each in the backrooms of camera stores still in unopened boxes)."

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

William Rounds Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2011Wed 10-Apr-13 08:54 AM
335 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DxO Optics Pro Camera/Lens Profiles"
In response to Reply # 0

Rambouillet, FR

I felt it took them a very long time (years?) to get to the 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikkor. I did put in my request and know that I was not alone. Somehow I don't think that "user input" is their primary method for prioritizing lens analysis, although it might get the lens on their list of "things to do".

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Wed 10-Apr-13 09:51 AM
325 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DxO Optics Pro Camera/Lens Profiles"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 10-Apr-13 09:59 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

William,

My guess is that the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S was not high on the priority list. Compared to other lenses, fewer people have this 300mm lens. Also there is very little distortion in this lens. I have the earlier version of the lens, the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF ED, and there is virtually no noticeable distortion. I'm confident that the newer version of this lens is even better than mine.

It should be a relatively simple matter to create a preset for this lens yourself. Shoot a brick wall and correct for any distortion. Then save the results as a preset for future use.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67288 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.