Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67278
View in linear mode

Subject: "Distortion Correction Software" Previous topic | Next topic
mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Fri 05-Apr-13 10:50 AM
321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Distortion Correction Software"
Fri 05-Apr-13 11:37 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

Here is a shot tutorial on Photoshop CS6 Adaptive Wide Angle tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oqjfSPUtj4

Since getting the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D lens for my D600, I have the need to fix some distortion on the wide angle end of this zoom. I'm also planning getting the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 circular fisheye lens sometime in the future to shoot spherical panoramas in three shots, among other things.

The Adaptive Wide Angle tool and the Lens Correction tool in Photoshop CS6 look good, but I am considering other options. I'm looking at DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE ($300) and DxO ViewPoint ($80).

I sent DxO a support question about the relative benefits between the two programs for distortion correction. Here is DxO's response:

"DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE does a more complete job and has more features to correct distortion than does DxO ViewPoint. More specifically, DxO Viewpoint does not correct the optical distortion of the len(es) used, while DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE does this in addition.

"Neither Photoshop CS6 Extended or Nikon Capture NX2 correct for Volume Anamorphosis Distortion which often needs correction when using Wide Angle Lenses. Both DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE and DxO ViewPoint provide this important distortion correction."

I'm looking for some insight into the two programs by someone who has used both. I have Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS6 Extended.

In addition to the distortion correction feature, what will DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE do for me more than Photoshop CS6 and Capture NX2?

Is Optics Pro 8 ELITE a better RAW converter than Capture NX2?

Are there other distortion corrections software options that I should consider?

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 05-Apr-13 09:12 PM
1762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Distortion Correction Software"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

I have used PS, NX2, LR and DxO. I have found LR to be too time consuming and unnecessarily complicated. The only advantage of NX2 is that it reproduces in-camera adjustments when shooting RAW which other programs cannot do. Also, the colors esp. skin tones are very good, but I find the program slow and not very user friendly.

Over the past five years or so my main photo editing program has been DxO Pro. I have never felt the need to even download DxO Viewpoint.

Aside from the excellent geometric correction algorithms you mention, I like the following features of the program:

Automatic picture optimization
Fast batch processing
Excellent camera/lens correction
Excellent raw conversion
Great noise reduction and sharpening

The main disadvantage of DxO is that it has no archiving and search capabilities. Consequently, I use LR in conjunction with DxO for these features. In the past years, the performance of LR has been vastly improved, and I use it for my Zeiss lenses for which DxO has no correction modules available.

Looking at your lens inventory, DxO probably has correction modules for all of them and it probably will meet your needs very well.

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Sat 06-Apr-13 01:13 AM
321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Distortion Correction Software"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 06-Apr-13 01:52 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

Tristan,

Thanks for the information.

BTW you can remove the second link to your gallery by making an adjustment to your Profile.

1. Go to your Profile.
2. Select "Edit my profile"
3. Select "Preferences"

Scroll down to the Signature Text Box and you will see that the code that creates the link is duplicated. Remove the duplicate portion of the code and select the save or update button. I believe this will make the change for all of your previous posts.

The extra line spaces between your text and your signature may also be in your signature text box, or they may just be extra line spaces after the text in your post.

I'm not sure how the code gets duplicated, but I had three links for my gallery before I learned how to fix the problem.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Sat 06-Apr-13 01:23 AM
#3. "2nd DxO Support Question"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Apr-13 01:27 AM by mpage

San Jose, US

I asked DxO a second support question:

"Since Photoshop CS6 has a built in Lens Correction tool, would I miss any of the benefits of DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE by using the Photoshop CS6 Len Correction tool and then working the image with the DxO ViewPoint plugin from within Photoshop?"

Here was DxO's response:

"In principle, no. In actual practice you will find that the lens corrections made by DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE are quite a bit more sophisticated and if you compare the two, you will see that DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE compensates for spatial weaknesses in each lens (soft edges and corners), uses deconvolution debluring in place of more classical sharpening -- its "Lens Blur" correction -- which is far less prone to producing "sharpening artifacts", and corrects CA at the individual pixel level. The lens corrections that CS6 makes do not do this, and are directed primarily at eliminating simple distortion."

I think I will need to do some testing to see the differences between DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE, and the Photoshop CS6/DxO ViewPoint combination.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004Sun 07-Apr-13 11:05 AM
#4. "RE: Distortion Correction Software"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 07-Apr-13 01:21 PM by mpage

San Jose, US

I downloaded the 31-day trial of DxO Optics Pro. I am pleased with the early results.

I shot a quick hand-held test image with the D600 and the 17-35mm f/2.8D lens at the 17mm end of the zoom. I used the camera's speed light, resulting in the lens shadow at the bottom-center of the image.

When I opened the directory containing the RAW images, DxO recognized the image data, and offered the option to downloaded the profile for the D600 when paired with the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D lens.

The image below demonstrates the results of the profile and the automatic correction. I did nothing more than open the image in DxO Pro and selected the side-by-side view.

The automatic correction eliminated the vignetting, sharpened the edges, and corrected the lens distortion.

I think DxO Optics Pro Elite is going to be the first step in my workflow.

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67278 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.