nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Distortion Correction Software

mpage

San Jose, US
351 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mpage Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2004
Fri 05-Apr-13 10:50 AM | edited Fri 05-Apr-13 11:37 AM by mpage

Here is a shot tutorial on Photoshop CS6 Adaptive Wide Angle tool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oqjfSPUtj4

Since getting the Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D lens for my D600, I have the need to fix some distortion on the wide angle end of this zoom. I'm also planning getting the Sigma 8mm f/3.5 circular fisheye lens sometime in the future to shoot spherical panoramas in three shots, among other things.

The Adaptive Wide Angle tool and the Lens Correction tool in Photoshop CS6 look good, but I am considering other options. I'm looking at DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE ($300) and DxO ViewPoint ($80).

I sent DxO a support question about the relative benefits between the two programs for distortion correction. Here is DxO's response:

"DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE does a more complete job and has more features to correct distortion than does DxO ViewPoint. More specifically, DxO Viewpoint does not correct the optical distortion of the len(es) used, while DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE does this in addition.

"Neither Photoshop CS6 Extended or Nikon Capture NX2 correct for Volume Anamorphosis Distortion which often needs correction when using Wide Angle Lenses. Both DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE and DxO ViewPoint provide this important distortion correction."

I'm looking for some insight into the two programs by someone who has used both. I have Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS6 Extended.

In addition to the distortion correction feature, what will DxO Optics Pro 8 ELITE do for me more than Photoshop CS6 and Capture NX2?

Is Optics Pro 8 ELITE a better RAW converter than Capture NX2?

Are there other distortion corrections software options that I should consider?

-Mark-

My Nikonians Gallery

G