Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67273
View in linear mode

Subject: "Swtiching from Windows to Apple" Previous topic | Next topic
jlallen41 Registered since 31st Dec 2010Wed 03-Apr-13 10:23 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Swtiching from Windows to Apple"

Laramie, US

I'm thinking of making a switch from a Windows-based computer to a Mac. The only thing holding me back is the enormous cost in processing software that I have for the Windows platform. Anyone out there know if companies are generally willing to allow one to switch licenses from one platform to another? Some of my processors include: PhotoShop, DxO, Topaz Labs, Nik, among others.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Swtiching from Windows to Apple
etemerson
04th Apr 2013
OldITGeek Silver Member
04th Apr 2013
jlallen41
05th Apr 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
05th Apr 2013
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
05th Apr 2013
danshep Silver Member
16th May 2013

etemerson Registered since 01st Jun 2009Thu 04-Apr-13 05:22 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Swtiching from Windows to Apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Vacaville, US

I made the Windows to iMac move a year ago and have not regretted it even for a second. The platform is very stable and easy to use. One small piece of advice - definitely go with a solid state boot drive. You'll love the speed when booting or working with large PS files.

As to your question about SW conversion expenses, Adobe will charge you a fee to switch your license to a different platform but it is not near as much as purchasing a new license. Nik Software however did not charge for the conversion - you use the same license number to register either version. Sorry, I don't know about Topaz or DxO.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Eric
My Web Site: http://PhotosByETEmerson.net/index my Nikonians gallery.

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Thu 04-Apr-13 11:19 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Swtiching from Windows to Apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

When I switched from PC to Apple, my Lightroom and Niksoftware licenses all worked.

Photoshop did not.

But when they did the 5 to 6 upgrade, I was allowed to switch license from windows to Apple.

jlallen41 Registered since 31st Dec 2010Fri 05-Apr-13 05:27 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Swtiching from Windows to Apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Laramie, US

Thanks, folks. As usual, Nikonians come through with good information.

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Fri 05-Apr-13 06:06 PM
1150 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Swtiching from Windows to Apple"
In response to Reply # 3

Lake Elmo, US

Call Adobe (and others). They are pretty understanding about this type thing. You'll get help.

On another subject, you will not regret the move for a minute. I LOVE the Mac platform after 15 years of PC's. I am on my second one (27") and simply LOVE it.
Just a tip though....when you buy your Mac, buty it with as little RAM as possible (generally 4GB). Then buy aftermarket RAM (as much as you can) and upgrade it yourself. You'll save a bundle and it's so simple you cannot believe it.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Fri 05-Apr-13 10:01 PM
14799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Swtiching from Windows to Apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

The amount Adobe charges to convert a Photoshop license from Windows to Mac is pretty trivial - less than $20 as I recall. Everything else in your list is cross-platform.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberThu 16-May-13 08:21 PM
1343 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Swtiching from Windows to Apple"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Same direction for me.

Got the 27" Mac. D800 with Lexar cards and a Lexar card reader, which plugs into the back of the Mac.

I use Lightroom to import my photos and perform the culling process. Then on special shots, I just right click and edit with Photoshop.

I have no regrets but instead, am delighted with my choice. I bought CS6 for Win7 but contacted them to convert my license to Mac. Did not cost me anything.

Now when installing on another Apple product (laptop), I just have to install software and copy serial number into it from their website.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67273 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.