Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67251
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suggestion for Nikon vis-a-vis Bracketing" Previous topic | Next topic
paulfree17 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2009Sat 16-Mar-13 02:21 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Suggestion for Nikon vis-a-vis Bracketing"

Montville, US

With all the advanced software built in to todays cameras I would think that this could become a standard feature and could probably be implemented via firmware.

When auto-bracketing is turned on the system could append the relative exposure to the end of the file name. For example if the filename is DSC0012 a five step bracket should name the files DSC0012-2 DSC0012-1 DSC0012-0 DSC0012+1 DSC0012+2.

This would certainly help identify the photos as being part of a bracket. It could also be useful for numbering shots in a panorama but that would be more difficult unless there was a panorama setting on the camera.

Just a thought or suggestion to the powers that be at Nikon.

Visit My Gallery at Pfotos-By-PFreedman

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 16-Mar-13 04:03 PM
11664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Suggestion for Nikon vis-a-vis Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

That's is a well thought out recommendation. But you know what? I tend to think that our cameras are already complicated enough, at least for my simple mind.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 16-Mar-13 04:20 PM
14596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Suggestion for Nikon vis-a-vis Bracketing"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Unless it was implemented via an option you could turn on and off, it could mess up file renaming schemes that many photographers use. At least for me, it would break my current one, which is a fairly common one.

BTW, If I'm doing a landscape shoot and have sequences of bracketed exposures (usually for either a blend or HDR), I'll use the auto stacking feature of Lightroom to group them. I adjust the "vary time between stacks" slider so that the right photos group together (easy to do). In addition to identifying the sequences on the screen, you can also collapse them down so that only one image is displayed for the stack. This can be either the middle exposure or a blended or HDR result from the stack. Works nicely.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67251 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.