Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67214
View in linear mode

Subject: "The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 23-Feb-13 11:32 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?"

US

Good evening all.

i do not have any experience with printing low-res images, so i'd rather ask. I did a kid's birthday party today. I want to give out a CD with all pictures to let parents post pictures on the Web or print 4x6 (but not 8x10 due to lack of IQ), as i want to keep all rights to print larger sized posters, etc if anyone wants them. To what resolution should i resize images for the CD?

Thanks in advance,
Vlad

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?
jrp Administrator
24th Feb 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
elec164 Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
24th Feb 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
24th Feb 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 24-Feb-13 07:49 AM
34294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I you want them to make good prints from the provided images, 300 to 360 ppi would help.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 24-Feb-13 11:00 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 24-Feb-13 11:03 AM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

That's a fine a hair to split.

That said, you might try 100dpi at 4x6 (400x600), which would be 50 dpi at 8x10.

You might want to include an explanation of the image quality on the CD so potential customers understand the reason for the poor quality.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 24-Feb-13 04:11 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 24-Feb-13 04:14 PM by elec164

US

I agree with Barry's splitting hairs comment. But personally I would recommend a resolution between JRP and Barry ( but closer to Barry).

For my personal preference I would not print below 150 PPI. So for a 4x6 print that would work out to a resolution of 600x900. That size would be good for web posting, and a decent quality 4x6. But a less then quality 8x10 at about 75 PPI.

I feel that Barry's 100 PPI for a 4x6 print to low, and JRP's 300 to 360 for a 4x6 would still allow a decent quality 8x10 at 150 to 180 PPI.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Feb-13 06:21 PM
11512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Most mini-labs print at a default/native resolution of 300 ppi. If you are concerned that someone is going to take their CD to the local Sam's Club and succumb to the temptation and upsize a few images to 8x10 then you could reduce the resolution of the 4x6 images to 150 ppi. The parents will hardly notice any reduced quality on a 4x6 sized print.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sun 24-Feb-13 10:26 PM
1071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The lowest Image resolution for 4x6?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thank you all,

600x900 it is

Best regards,
Vlad

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67214 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.