nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who?

Shy Talk

Port Glasgow, UK
580 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010
Tue 19-Feb-13 11:55 AM

Quite apart from digital pix, I've recently been scanning negatives and positives from my youth.

I know a TIFF is not the same as a RAW, but the Coolscan V that I'm using outputs TIFFs.

I edit them a bit, then save them as JPEGS. (I save the TIFFs too)

Thing is, apart from the edits, they look exactly the same, quality wise.

If I save them as JPEGS without editing them, I simply cannot see any difference.

I've had a wee shot at using RAW in my modern Nikons, but I can't see any difference from the JPEGS that the camera outputs.

Now, I don't do much to my pix. Bit of cropping maybe, curves on a good day, sharpening a little....

Should I be shooting RAW?

For a minimalist pp' er like me, is there a real benefit?
The big downside would be reduction in pix per card plus computer clottage.

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
19th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
19th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Master Ribbon awarded as a member who has gone beyond technical knowledge to show mastery of the art and science of photography
19th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
19th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? Shy Talk
19th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? Luke_Miller Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
21st Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? KenLPhotos Gold Member
20th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? prreid Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
21st Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing.
22nd Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? jec6613
26th Feb 2013
03rd Mar 2013
04th Mar 2013
          Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? PerroneFord Silver Member
06th Mar 2013
12th Mar 2013
                    Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? PerroneFord Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
12th Mar 2013
13th Mar 2013
                                   Reply message RE: RAW or JPEG? Who's kidding who? SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
13th Mar 2013

G