Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67187
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cropping scanned prints with faststone" Previous topic | Next topic
Shy Talk Registered since 12th Jun 2010Tue 12-Feb-13 11:09 AM
547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cropping scanned prints with faststone"
Tue 12-Feb-13 11:15 AM by Shy Talk

Port Glasgow, GB

I wonder if someone could help me out with this one?

I've been acanning in some smallish old prints (5 x 3 1/2")using my flatbed scanner.
What I get on my sixteen to nine monitor is a decent scan in the middle of the monitor and a black block left and right of the image.

This is exactly what I expected to get as the image is a different size ratio to my oughly 21 x 12 " monitor.
Of course, this is also what I get, but to a lessor extent with digital captures from my modern Nikons.

When I try and crop the scanned print images- instead of chopping off the top and bottom-leaving me with an enlarged image which completely fills the monitor,Faststone 4.6 just crops the top and bottom off, leaving me with the exact same image but with the top and bottom removed and the black areas left and right unaltered!

The weird thing is that in the 'crop board' the presentation for digital photos and these scanned prints is identical. The output though, is very different.

Help!

my webpage is at http://www.scottishops.co.uk

my Nikonians gallery is here. http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/330319

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 13-Feb-13 03:48 AM
2049 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cropping scanned prints with faststone"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Feb-13 12:40 PM by elec164

US

I've never used Faststone, and there is for me significant information missing. But I'll offer an educated guess.

Aspect Ratio is part of the problem, and lack of pixel dimension is most likely the other.

Part of the missing info is the resolution you scanned at, and the resolution of your monitor. For example my monitor has a aspect ratio of 16: 9 16:10 and a native resolution is 1920x1200. Generally I would scan a print at 300 PPI ( because that's about all the useful information you can get from a print). Scanning a 5x3.5 print at 300 PPI would result in a pixel dimension of 1500x1050. Monitors can only show a image at acutal pixel dimensions unless the program used for displaying them scales them on the fly. So it would fall short on all sides (little bit on top and bottom significantly more left and right side) for filling the screen. If I cropped the scan to a 16:10 aspect ratio without up-sampling, it would be shorter top to bottom with the sides either being the same or shorter depending on the crop.

If you want the scans to fill the screen, you need to scan with enough resolution to allow for cropping and still have the pixel dimensions to fill the screen. Or scan at whatever resolution, then crop and up-sample to needed dimensions.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67187 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.