Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67128
View in linear mode

Subject: "Software Program to View Images" Previous topic | Next topic
Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Sat 19-Jan-13 07:02 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Software Program to View Images"

New York, US

Greetings. I am looking for a recommendations for a software program to simply open the image, see the metadata, make my selects and then import to exterior HD, cloud and then to Aperture.

Is there one solution for RAW and JPEG? Thank you for the help in advance...

Zapple

Zapple

Www.zapshots.zenfolio.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3539962/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Software Program to View Images
jrp Administrator
20th Jan 2013
Zapple
20th Jan 2013
tuthill Silver Member
20th Jan 2013
FredB D3 Silver Member
20th Jan 2013
Zapple
20th Jan 2013
NorthBay Silver Member
20th Jan 2013
Zapple
20th Jan 2013

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 20-Jan-13 01:01 AM
34766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Software Program to View Images"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 20-Jan-13 01:05 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

ViewNX2, and it is free

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Sun 20-Jan-13 09:25 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Software Program to View Images"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

Thank you of the ViewNx 2 suggestion. It seems light and fast which I like. My work flow was very simple: Copy images from Card to External HD, Computer, then burnt to DVD. I call this the "dump". I would take all the images and import into Aperture 3 and do most if my work from here...choosing my selects, deleting the rest, then catalog, keyword, rate and basic crop if needed.

I am considering adding ViewNX 2 to my workflow as it uses less resources on my already taxed iMac and Mac Book versus Aperture. My purpose is not to edit but simply make my selects, add GPS data and maybe a quick crop and get them into Aperture as a new Project.

Do you have any suggestions for me based on my description of the work flow? Additionally, what is your suggestion for importing the selects into Aperture? Should I make a new Select Folder from the dump folder and then import the Select folder into Aperture or should I import the selects directly from ViewNX into Aperture? Any suggestions on exactly how to do the import would be greatly appreciated as it will speed up my larning curve versus trial and error.

Thanks JRP

Zapple

tuthill Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Oct 2006Sun 20-Jan-13 03:01 AM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Software Program to View Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort McMurray, CA

Or Photo Mechanic which is pricey.

Or ACDSee which is not as pricey.

Mike Tuthill

Nikon D7000, Nikon D90, Tamron 28-300 VC, Nikkor 35-105, Nikkor 50 f1.8, Nikon 70-300 VR, Nikon 80-400 VR, Tamron 90 f2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-500 OS DG, Sigma 180 EX DG Macro, Nikon 18-200 VR

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Sun 20-Jan-13 12:11 PM
878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Software Program to View Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

Hi Zapple,

Have you tried Preview, provided with the Mac OS? It will open your images, allow you to view metadata, then export (I think you meant export, not import) to another location. I am not certain how you would export to iCloud (you might need to import them into iCloud). Then you could import your photos into Aperture from wherever Aperture allows this to be done (I do not use that application, and I use iCloud primarily for syncing contacts and calendars).

Select file, right click, and choose Preview to open.

Select files in Preview, then File, Export. Note that selecting photos in Preview is not the same as tagging them - the selection is ephemeral.

For Metadata, go to Tools, Show Inspector, then select desired menu item - General, Exif, GPS, etc.

Fred
Maryland, USA

Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Sun 20-Jan-13 04:36 PM
#5. "RE: Software Program to View Images"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

Thank you for the suggestion. It use Preview and that is why I am looking for a viewer that has a touch more functionality and is less resource intrusive on memory, like Photo Mechanic but obviously at a steep cost. So I'm looking for something in between.

Zapple

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Sun 20-Jan-13 02:08 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Software Program to View Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

Irfanview is free, and opens just about anything (http://www.irfanview.com/), including NEFs. With the image open, click “E” to get the exif data, or “I” twice for iptc data. I have it associated with all the image file extensions (JPG, TIFF, NEF, etc), so I can double-click on file names and have them open instantly.

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Zapple Registered since 10th Jan 2005Sun 20-Jan-13 04:41 PM
#6. "RE: Software Program to View Images"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

Thank you NB. Will give it a try this afternoon. Along with Photo Mechanic 20 day demo.

Zapple

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67128 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.