Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67119
View in linear mode

Subject: "Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition" Previous topic | Next topic
Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sun 13-Jan-13 04:20 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition"

Fort Kent, CA

Anyone here use this Coreldraw package.

It is on sale for about $100 through Amazon.ca which makes it an attractive option. I've not had a lot of luck finding out much about the package. It contains the same basic components as Coreldraw Suite ($500).

While Adobe CS is the program of choice it is way out of my price range right now; thought about buying an older Adobe CS on eBay but even then they want too much and I'm concerned about how it would work on my Windows 8 PC. This program states it is Windows 8 compatible, I've found lots of programs (especially games) are not. Fortunately Adobe Elements is. I do have PSE 10 and Premier 10.

Box Image:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31zpZ-LB1xL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This listing in ebay has a good description of the program:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-CorelDRAW-Home-and-Student-Suite-X6-Corel-Draw-3-Users-/350670435151?pt=US_Image_Video_Audio_Software&hash=item51a596334f&_uhb=1#ht_1755wt_1397

From that webpage:

Product Features

"Complete graphic design suite, with user-friendly applications, anyone can be a designer! Offering robust content, graphic design, illustration, page layout, web graphics and photo editing, it's easy to create reports, drawings, flyers, logos and more.

Corel PHOTO-PAINT Home & Student X6 offers professional photo-editing tools and effects that can improve any photograph. Retouching and enhancement, bitmap creation, digital painting, and streamlined web exporting are just a click away.

Versatile page layout and drawing tools for all levels - CorelDRAW Home & Student X6 offers a complete set of drawing, tracing, illustration, page layout and web graphics tools to help you create any type of design project for print or web.

Helpful learning resources - Find all the learning tools you need to start smoothly and design with confidence, including valuable video tutorials, helpful tips and tricks, insights from the experts and an inspiring electronic guidebook."

I cut my IT teeth on WordPerfect 4.0 and have used lots of Corel programs in the past, including Coreldraw way back in the early 90's.

The price is right, is the program?

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition
blw Moderator
15th Jan 2013
NorthBay Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
21st Jan 2013
Clint S Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
Fortkentdad
10th Feb 2013
esantos Moderator
11th Feb 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 15-Jan-13 11:09 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

My general advice is to never buy anything unless you have a clear and compelling reason to do so. I haven't used Corel in many years; I am not aware of anything particular that Corel does that Elements does not do - and even if it does, you would not necessarily use that capability.

> While Adobe CS is the program of choice

That certainly is not universal. To the degree that any thing is "the choice" I think it would be Lightroom, which is about $150, which I claim is not very far over the $100 for Corel or Elements.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

NorthBay Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jan 2013Wed 16-Jan-13 12:14 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition"
In response to Reply # 0

Janesville, US

I have both Elements and the full Coreldraw package, mainly for using Draw on non-photo projects. If you shoot in RAW, be aware that Paint uses Camera Raw Lab import your NEFs, and will erase or mangle your EXIF data. I spend weeks with Corel customer support on this issue, and they finally agreed it was a problem but didn’t commit to fix it. Paint does give you creative possibilities that are closer to Photoshop than Elements, if you’re looking to do that kind of work. I occasionally pull out my D70 to shoot IR photos, and Paint is a good tool for processing those images.
So, depending on what you’re doing, you’re probably better off with Elements or Lightroom. Hope this helps!

TJ McCarthy
WarAxe Photography

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 21-Jan-13 07:29 PM
2495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

I use Corel Draw 12 for technical illustrations, mostly in connection with patent applications. Newer versions have been ruined for my purpose.

As regards the photo component, Corel Photo-Paint, forget it. While it does have some exiting additions over the likes of Photoshop Elements (exammples: channel mixer), the basic stuff like brightness adjustment is not from this millennium. Brightness in Corel adjusts exposure linearly, as opposed to changing gamma like modern programs do. With modern programs, like Photoshop (Elements), when you adjust brightness, the midtones are adjusted much more aggressively than the blacks or whites. With corel, if you try to open shadows, you'll blow the highlights.

Regards, Antero

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 27-Jan-13 04:45 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

CorelDraw Suite a vector drawing (similar to Illustrator), page layout (typically for less than 100 pages without problems), and pixel/image editing in Corel Photo-Paint (equivalent to Photoshop but without the refinements)programs.

CorelDraw and suite programs work significantly different than Adobe similar products, are much easier to learn but still has a consedeable learning curve. The programs are as powerful as Adobe products, but getting to the end result is accomplished entirely differently. Corel Photo-Paint's best feature is being to able to use it to edit pixel based images in CorelDraw, or manipulating an image and having it cleanly import into Corel Draw. I'm not even sure that raw editors are included in the last two versions of CorelDraw suite. But even if they did I would highly favor Lightroom over a Corel product.

Corel's PaintShop Pro was once the leading challenger to Photoshop and would be a far better product than PhotoPaint for a photographer. Corel also has AfterShot Pro and PhotoImpact.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sun 10-Feb-13 04:14 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition"
In response to Reply # 4

Fort Kent, CA

Thanks for the input.

I was looking at CorelDraw for the Drawing part, not the photo part. I have Elements and always import my images using Elements. Good to know that Corel may mangle my RAW files but I have my camera set to shoot both a RAW and large JPG of every image. So I'd need to be careful to just use the JPG in Corel.

Still undecided. While Adobe is the preferred program I am just not in a position to justify the hundreds of dollars Adobe Photoshop costs ($ 750ish here in Canada). I'll have to think harder about what I could actually do with CorelDraw that I 'need' to do. (Need being a funny word to use when talking about a hobby).

I also am unsure of the advantage of Lightroom over Elements. I read that Lightroom does some things better but from what I do I don't think there is anything that Lightroom does that Element's does not do.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 11-Feb-13 04:05 PM
11512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Coreldraw 6X - Home & Student Edition"
In response to Reply # 5

McAllen, US

David,

Are you aware that Adobe is now offering a Cloud version of Creative Suite? This may be a good solution for you. You only pay for the products you want to use (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) on a monthly fee. The programs are downloaded to your desktop and then you install them just like the disc versions. They are full featured and are actually being updated on a more frequent basis than the traditional disc based apps. You do not have to continually maintain an active user license either. If for a month or two you don't have the funds to pay the license fee you simply do not have to. And then when you are ready you can pick it up again where you left off. It is truly pay-as-you-go. While I currently have the disc versions I plan to go this way in the future. Check it out here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67119 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.