nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67110
View in linear mode

Subject: "Starting out - confused and seeking advice to set up in..." Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 02:46 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Starting out - confused and seeking advice to set up initial catalog"

US

I have Elements 10 which I find difficult. I bought Lightroom 4 and this makes more sense to me with regards to processing photos. Both have a catalog feature which I gather are not the same. I made a huge error when I loaded E10 and it sucked every image from the hard drive in, not just my photos. I need to dump that and start over. Could use some help there too.

until now I have used Picasa to do simple adjustments and used their date folder catalog system.

I would like advice on how to put the stake in the ground so to speak and set up a catalog where I can store all my Pics and then a space to store my "good stuff" that I can PP to a higher standard and possibly market in some way. I still want to keep the general images but being at the base of the mountain of 4k images I don't know what would make sense if I were near the top with images I might market.

I hope I did not make this question to confusing. I need a top down view of a working catalog system.

Thanks in advance. JB

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 10-Jan-13 03:06 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Starting out - confused and seeking advice to set up initial catalog"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

My Mom uses elements 10. I have to say i don't like it either. It's not intuitive to me. I use CS6. Elements will do almost everything photoshop will do it usually just takes more steps to get it done. Here is a link to a training course on elements 9 http://kelbytraining.com/course/lbecker_elements9_beginners/, I doubt much changed between 10 and 9 but you should be able to get the basics.

I Don't use LR, but LR doesn't move your pictures it just catalogues where they are and allows you to work with them in one place(the LR interface). As far as having a space for your good pictures, the easiest way to do this is LR would be to rate your pictures then create a smart collection. Here is some info that may be helpful http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/tag/collections

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67110 Previous topic | Next topic