Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67073
View in linear mode

Subject: "jpeg files sizes?" Previous topic | Next topic
pfretts Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2006Mon 24-Dec-12 01:10 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"jpeg files sizes?"
Mon 24-Dec-12 02:43 PM by esantos

Dothan, US

My brother sent me an SD card of some photos he took with a compact camera. A couple of the files were in the 5.6MB range but most were 145 to 150KB. why would there be a disparity in the file size on the same card. The photos were not all taken on the same day.

Thanks!

Paul Fretts
www.aviationartonline.com

Nikonian in LA (Lower Alabama)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 24-Dec-12 01:17 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: jpeg files sizes?f "
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

Could be he changed the quality of the picture in the camera. So possibly the 5.6md files could be the highest quality file of the camera and the 145kb could be the lowest quality.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 24-Dec-12 02:46 PM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: jpeg files sizes?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Check the resolution (pixels per inch) as well as the size of the image in pixels. Many point and shoot cameras shoot jpegs at 72 ppi. Okay for web use but not for printing beyond 4x6.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

pfretts Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 12:36 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: jpeg files sizes?"
In response to Reply # 2

Dothan, US

Thanks for the information!

Paul Fretts
www.aviationartonline.com

Nikonian in LA (Lower Alabama)

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 15-Jan-13 10:59 PM
26722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: jpeg files sizes?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Also, the files may be of different format. For example, a large one might be a TIFF file with no compression, and the smaller ones might be JPEGs with considerable compression (often called "quality" as in Basic, Normal, Fine, etc).

Additionally, formats that include compression (such as essentially all JPEG, some TIFF, and some others) may compress different subjects in very, very different amounts. As only the most extreme example, if you take a picture of random noise, that will not compress very much, and it will present a relatively large file. At the other extreme, if you take a picture of a perfectly evenly lit wall with just one color, that file will compress a LOT more, possibly by a factor of 20x.

And it is entirely possible that all of the above are in play in any given scenario.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67073 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.