Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67043
View in linear mode

Subject: "First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2" Previous topic | Next topic
JKFuller Registered since 21st Mar 2012Mon 17-Dec-12 11:48 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"

Wake Forest, US

Hello Nikonians,
I have been searching for threads on PS Elements verse Nikon CNX2. The only software I current have (and use quite a bit) is Nikon’s free ViewNX2. I actually am quite impressed on what I can do with VNX so I have been putting off purchasing software and allocated my funds to lens. I think my kit is good for now for a beginner and so I have been researching SW. Most of the threads I read compare CNX to the full PS CS. My question is; with limited funds should I be looking at Elements 11 or CNX. I have tried a trial of Elements… but maybe because I am used to ViewNX2, I was not too impressed. I guess I need to get a trial of CNX

Any thoughts on the first SW to purchase?

Much Thanks,
Regards,
Joseph

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2
ericbowles Moderator
21st Dec 2012
Bob Chadwick Silver Member
21st Dec 2012
JKFuller
21st Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
21st Dec 2012
JKFuller
21st Dec 2012
rbaskin Silver Member
24th Dec 2012
JKFuller
24th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
24th Dec 2012
JKFuller
24th Dec 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 21-Dec-12 02:02 PM
8790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Elements is a capable program - and for certain functions is nearly as good as Photoshop.

I think your real choices are between Lightroom and CNX2. That's a bit of a choice between an Adobe workflow and a Nikon workflow. Both programs are quite capable and will accomodate 98% of your likely needs.

I use View, Capture, and Photo Mechanic. I have Photoshop CS6 and use it for specific needs - such as print management, adding canvas, and heavy cloning. I use View as my primary browser, for rating images, and for browsing. I also use it for editing on snapshots and high volume images such as event photos. I use Capture NX2 for serious editing of images I am selling or posting on my website. I like the file management approach and lossless edits. I also like using the in camera settings such as picture controls and ADL - and these programs honor those settings. I use Photo Mechanic to import files, attach keywords, apply watermarks, and support captions and naming.

I don't see any major need to use Elements. I have it because my wife uses it for photo projects and printing. I think of it as Photoshop Lite - and consider it inferior to Lightroom or Capture for advanced editing.

Lightroom is increasingly the replacement for both Photoshop and Elements. Most advanced Photoshop users have adopted Lightroom because it is a great organizer, a very good editor, and is easy to use. Functionality is very good. It does not use the camera settings, but has presets that do the job. And it will work with your NEF file and apply edits losslessly. It also works well with a wide range of plugins for special needs.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Fri 21-Dec-12 02:10 PM
2049 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Norcross, US

I agree with Eric. I had PSE and moved to LR several years ago. The only time I still use PSE is if I need to uses layers, such as for poster, collages, etc.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

JKFuller Registered since 21st Mar 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 02:20 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Wake Forest, US

Hello Eric and Bob,
Thanks for the great advice… as usual you are a big help. I have just downloaded a sample of CNX2. As I said above, I like VNX and assume the look and feel will be similar.

I shoot quite a bit of architectural photos and I do not have a tilt/shift lens so I am interested to see how CNX2 handles perspective control. My D5100 has perspective control in camera but I am hoping CNX2 corrects it well.

Much thanks again!
Sincerely,
Joseph

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 21-Dec-12 02:50 PM
8790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

Capture should honor the distortion correction in the camera, as well as any corrections from lens firmware. I'm not terribly impressed by other distortion control capabilities.

The basic workflow for Capture is pretty straight forward - work from top to bottom on the right. Start with the Develop section for global adjustments similar to View. Then go to the Adjust section.

In the Adjust section I normally work the menus from top to bottom and left to right. I start with global adjustments and then come back with selective adjustments. The key icons for me are the Color Control Point selection and the Selection Tools (both positive and negative). The Color Control point is pretty straight forward. Just remember that you can size the control points or add control points with no changes to manage exactly where an effect is applied. With Selection tools you can apply any editing step - sharpening for example - just to the portion of the image you desire. I use this a lot for D-Lighting, Contrast, and Sharpening. Apply your crop and final sharpening last.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

JKFuller Registered since 21st Mar 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 02:58 PM
#5. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Wake Forest, US

Much thanks Eric! I appreciate the step by step work flow instructions. It will be quite handy for me to develop good skills from the start. With ViewNX I usually just jump around to various edits. I like your structured step by step approach.

Sincerely,
Joseph

rbaskin Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2007Mon 24-Dec-12 02:24 AM
351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Ridgefield, US

Substitute CS3 for CS6 and my workflow and tool use just about matches Eric's. I've been using Capture NX since shortly after it's initial release.

The selection tools and control points have made for quick and easy editing for me with a great deal of control.

I've been anxiously awaiting the cataloging version of Photo Mechanic to really complete my toolset.

If you go with CNX2 Jason O'Dell has some excellent e-books and Mike Hagen's Capture NX2 after the shoot is very, very good.

Good luck with which ever path you choose.

Ralph in CT

JKFuller Registered since 21st Mar 2012Mon 24-Dec-12 01:09 PM
#7. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 6

Wake Forest, US

Hello,
Ralph,
Thanks for the help and advice! I sincerely appreciate it!

All,
I downloaded a trial version of CNX2. From the little I used of it so far it does not seem to have the ability for perspective control. Am I missing it? Does Elements 11 have perspective control?

Thanks,
Joseph

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 24-Dec-12 02:24 PM
14699 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Colorado Springs, US

No, it doesn't. Elements has the capability, as does Lightroom, with the latter performing it non-destructively.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

JKFuller Registered since 21st Mar 2012Mon 24-Dec-12 04:39 PM
#9. "RE: First SW: Elements 11 or CNX2"
In response to Reply # 8

Wake Forest, US

Thanks Rick! I will use perspective control quite a bit so I guess I need to look at Lightroom.

Sincerely,
Joseph

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67043 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.