Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67023
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for t..." Previous topic | Next topic
pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 05:04 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"

Tucson, US

I have an older version of Photoshop (CS3) that won't support the D7000 for RAW conversions. I've used ACDSee Pro (I currently have the 2.5 Pro version), and I'd like to see how many users on the Nikonians list are using ACDSee Pro 6 for their RAW Conversions and workflow. That program is being offered at a very attractive price as it's probably going to be replaced soon.

I'd be interested in your comments. Please note that I'm not planning to upgrade my Photoshop to CS5 or later, which is the level required to support the latest Nikon RAW formats.

Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter f...
PAStime Silver Member
16th Dec 2012
JosephK Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
km6xz Moderator
17th Dec 2012
pimadude Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
esantos Moderator
19th Dec 2012
pimadude Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
kshapero Gold Member
27th Dec 2012

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 16-Dec-12 08:20 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

I used a beta version of ACDSee Pro 6 for about a year. I'd strongly recommend getting Lightroom instead. More stable, more features, huge user community, lots of books/support available, excellent image results. Peter

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 17-Dec-12 12:46 AM
4618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

I am a big fan of ACDSee as a picture viewer. Every now and then I will play around with its raw handing. It seems to get the job done with good results. However, I agree that going with LightRoom is probably the better option.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 17-Dec-12 02:17 AM
3357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The program has a lot of nice features but it is better dealing with jpg. The best for rendering NEF files is Nikon'S capture NX2. Lightroom is very slick and quick but is more limited in editing than Nx2 and much less capable than PS CS6. So it all depends on how detailed of manipulation you need and how much time you want to invest in learning the tool. If price is a concern, RawTherapee is free and good. I find need at times for the strengths of of LR, Nx2 and Cs6.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 10:43 PM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Tucson, US

Thanks for the advise and comments, I have downloaded a trial copy of Lightroom 3.6. Unfortunately, the latest LR4 won't run on Windows XP which is the operating system that I'm using (and prefer to keep due to some hardware dependencies - e.g. my film scanner).

I've used RAW (Nikon NEF) with my Nikon D90, but don't really get into using a RAW converter for many of my photos. I'm planning to generally set the QUAL setting on my D7000 for .jpg Fine and RAW and will save the RAW files in a separate folder to use as I wish for further manipulations.

Jim

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 19-Dec-12 03:04 PM
11724 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 19-Dec-12 03:05 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

In my opinion Lightroom/Photoshop ACR is the far superior raw converter right now. Check out Jeff Schewe's new Digital Negative book and see why. I just reviewed PictureCode Photo Ninja which, while still in version 1 and needing some refinement, may one day surpass the Adobe solutions. You can read my review of this new converter on the current Nikonians e-Zine #54.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Wed 19-Dec-12 05:21 PM
#6. "RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Tucson, US

Ernesto, Thanks for your suggestion on the PictureCode Photo Ninja program, I'll have to definitely give it some consideration.

Jim

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 12:18 AM
272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is ACDSee Pro 6 a good choice for a RAW Converter for the D7000?"
In response to Reply # 6

South Florida, US

I have been using ACDSee Pro since 2.5. Presently on Ver 6. Great organizer and an average photo editor but then I am an average guy.
Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3

www.akivaphoto.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67023 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.