nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67009
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best way to create TIFF files ?" Previous topic | Next topic
newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 15-Dec-12 05:50 PM
2006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best way to create TIFF files ?"

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

Hi,

I want to create TIFF files of my best photos and print files. I use Capture NX2 + Nik CEP3 and batch creating TIFF files is fast on my machine. However, since I have a large number of photos to save as TIFF files, I thought it could be faster with PM5 that I also use in my workflow. However, I was wondering if PM5 would create the TIFF from the embedded .jpg file in the NEF file since PM5 cannot read (I assume) the CEP3 commands (nor the CNX2 commands). In orther words, I would assume that producing TIFFs from CNX2+CEP3 would likely give better results, but I'm not sure and I would probably not see the difference only by looking the result on my computer display.

So, what is the best way to TIFF (if there is one that keeps better quality): CNX2 batch or PM5 batch ?

Thanks,

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Dec 2012
newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Dec 2012
newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Dec 2012
15th Dec 2012
15th Dec 2012
laurenm210
25th Jul 2013

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 15-Dec-12 06:59 PM
5105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

You have to create the TIFs from CNX to get any adjustments you've made. But as a graphics professional I have to ask, why do you want to create TIFs?

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 15-Dec-12 09:54 PM
2006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 1

I have to ask, why
>do you want to create TIFs?
>
Because I am slowly changing my workflow from NX2-CEP3 to LR4-CEP4 and there are many photos that are already postprocessed that may need to be printed in several months down the way when I stop using NX2 (ex. for sale). I don't want to reprocess them when this happens and I want to have the best file possible before print sharpening, light adjustment and resizing.

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 15-Dec-12 10:59 PM
5105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

A good reason, though it will cost you some disk space!

When I made that same migration two years ago I reprocessed existing images into Lightroom as practice — and yes, I still had the CNX2 to export from the NEFs if I wanted to or had to. But it wasn't long before I had all the "good stuff" reprocessed in Lightroom.

FWIW, I reprocessed those LR images as my LR abilities, notably local selection techniques, improved. I also reprocessed everything when Lightroom 4 — Process Version 2012 — came out.

BTW, welcome to Lightroom!

Jon Kandel

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 15-Dec-12 07:38 PM
6255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Yvan,

You can do it either way, but using PM is faster. PM will base it's conversion on the embedded jpg, showing the effects of the NEF edits in effect when you last saved the file. You must have the CNX preference "Save Preview when saving NEF/NRW" set to Thumbnail and Preview for this to work.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 15-Dec-12 10:00 PM
#6. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 2

>PM will base
>it's conversion on the embedded jpg,

So it will lose file quality. This is what I thought.

I'll keep doing TIFFs with NX2

Thanks

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 15-Dec-12 08:23 PM
#3. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Let me clarify. I assume you want the TIFs to be high res; if not, JPGs would suffice.

But making TIFs from the embedded JPG will produce a lower res or smaller file than a TIF made from the RAW file.

Jon Kandel

newbird Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Sat 15-Dec-12 09:55 PM
#5. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Let me clarify. I assume you want the TIFs to be high res;

Yes

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian

laurenm210 Registered since 25th Jul 2013Thu 25-Jul-13 09:22 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Best way to create TIFF files ?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 25-Jul-13 09:25 AM by laurenm210

US

hi,

that's actually a solution. but somewhat complex.Once I used Adobe Acrobat. but it becomes more and more expensive for public users who haven;t got many pdf files to process. here I would like to share with you the tool Im using now ,it is denefinitly easier to handle.This TIFF creator<http://www.rasteredge.com/how-to/csharp-imaging/tiff-creating/> will enable you to do a wide variety of ways to creat, alter, enhance and process batch conversion of your TIFF files in just a few clicks.You can download the free trail package and have a try.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #67009 Previous topic | Next topic