Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66975
View in linear mode

Subject: "Any way to open D7000 files with PhotoShop CS3??" Previous topic | Next topic
rickmark Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2006Sun 02-Dec-12 10:18 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Any way to open D7000 files with PhotoShop CS3??"

Otis, US

Hi ... I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find an easy answer on the forum.

I've been using Photoshop CS3 for years on my 2006 iMac. It's a student version, so I can't upgrade. Now I just bought a D7000 and PS won't open my raw files.

I see that I need to upgrade Adobe Camera Raw. Is it possible to upgrade Camera Raw so that it works with CS3 AND with my D7000 files?

I just ordered the brand new iMac, hoping it comes before Christmas. I was expecting to buy PS Elements 11 after the new computer comes.

Is there anything I can do now with my old iMac running CS3 to open my D7000 raw files?

I don't want to buy CS6 because of the price. If I buy Elements 11 now for my old Mac, will I be able to reinstall that on the new one?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 03-Dec-12 09:04 PM
11562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Any way to open D7000 files with PhotoShop CS3??"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Once Photoshop is updated to the next numerical version Adobe terminates any updates to that version. This includes adding new camera support for ACR. What you can do is download the latest version of the free Adobe DNG Converter. This software will convert your D7000 NEFs to the DNG raw file standard which should open in any ACR version. I would keep my original NEFs intact and simply use the DNG file to edit in Photoshop and then save that edited file in your preferred image file format (PSD, TIF, JPG, etc.).

Before you can install Elements on a new computer you must first deactivate the current installation. You can find this command in the program menu. Well, at least that is what you do with Photoshop - I'm assuming that Elements has the same capability.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

rickmark Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 09:35 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Any way to open D7000 files with PhotoShop CS3??"
In response to Reply # 1

Otis, US

I see. Thank you very much. Very helpful.

I went ahead and purchased Elements 11 for the new Mac Air (there's been a lot of purchasing going on lately), and I was able to download, install and activate 11 without deactivating my prior version of Elements (which was 4).

But the new interface is so different, and it uses something called Organizer to arrange my files, so I see there's a learning curve.

I'm going to try your suggestion on the old iMac (which is dying because of some hardware trouble), so I can continue to use PS3 on that machine.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 09:04 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Any way to open D7000 files with PhotoShop CS3??"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

The only thing you can do is download the latest DNG Converter and convert the NEF files to DNG files. CS3 will then be able to open the DNG files. (DNG is Adobe's RAW format.) Save your original NEF files, though, or embed them in the DNG (an option) for recovery later.

Alan

rickmark Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 09:36 PM
#4. "RE: Any way to open D7000 files with PhotoShop CS3??"
In response to Reply # 2

Otis, US

Thank you very much, Alan. Very helpful.

My reply to Ernesto applies to you as well.

Funny that you two posted replies within a minute of each other.

R

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66975 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.