Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66964
View in linear mode

Subject: "Glacier - cloud storage cheap?" Previous topic | Next topic
Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 10:27 PM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Glacier - cloud storage cheap?"

Cape Coral, US

Has anyone experimented using Amazon Glacier for storage?

It's a huge decrease in price, for $0.15/Gig/Month to about $0.01/Gig/Month provided you are using it for backup archival only (as opposed to frequent access).

That takes a terabyte down from $150/mo to $15/mo, which really puts it into an attractive price point for off-site, highly reliable archival storage.

While external hard drives are cheap now, they just don't meet the requirement of surviving fire, flood, etc., unless you take them off site, which becomes a hassle (or if you're in S. Florida like me the safe "off site" is somewhere up in Georgia ).

I'm doing some experimentation this week, but as the service is deliberately aimed at deferred response (e.g. 4 hour wait for a restore, 1 day way for lifecycle archival, etc.) it takes a while, wondering if others have gone before.

I've been using regular retail S3 storage, so this will be a big savings for me if it works.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 10:50 PM
3618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Glacier - cloud storage cheap?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Nov-12 10:58 PM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

Have you calculated how long it would take to upload a TByte?

I have a nominal 8 Mbit/sec download and 512 Kbit/sec upload cable modem connection. It actually benchmarks at 8.10/0.59 Mbit/sec. From that I just calculated my 802 GBytes of images would take 135 days for the initial upload. About the best I can do at home is get 8 times those speeds. Then it would only take about 17 days for the initial upload. I can't see how cloud storage is feasible for me.

Edited to correct my calculations. Initally I put an extra factor of 1024 in my calculations.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 11:00 PM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Glacier - cloud storage cheap?"
In response to Reply # 1

Cape Coral, US

>Have you calculated how long it would take to upload a
>TByte?

>I have a nominal 8 Mbit/sec download and 512 Kbit/sec upload
>cable modem connection. It actually benchmarks at 8.10/0.59
>Mbit/sec. From that I just calculated my 802 GBytes of images
>would take 379 years for the initial upload. About the best I
>can do at home is get 8 times those speeds. Then it would
>only take a bit over 47 years for the initial upload. I can't
>see how cloud storage is feasible for me.

I've got 50/10mbs. With compression I found last night when I did some uploads I was getting about 4-5GB/hour. That's dependent on how compressible the items are of course. That's over a week for the initial upload of a TB of space, but my generation of photos is nowhere near that bad. The last shoot I saved more than normal and have 2.5G of keepers, so upload would be under an hour.

Amazon also has upload capabilities where you send them an external drive like a USB to do the initial bulk load.

Clearly it is dependent on your network speed and how much you shoot. At 512kbs it's going to be painful to do any kind of cloud activity, even uploading your images to a photo site must be painful.

Linwood

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 11:04 PM
#3. "RE: Glacier - cloud storage cheap?"
In response to Reply # 1

Cape Coral, US

>Edited to correct my calculations. Initally I put an extra
>factor of 1024 in my calculations.

I was just about to post a question on that front.

17 days is not really a terrible time for a one-time, initial upload. But you can send them a disk. Then ask how much you generate in a month and how long it would take to upload that.

Linwood

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 11:20 PM
3618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Glacier - cloud storage cheap?"
In response to Reply # 3

Farmington Hills, US

Sending a disc for initial upload might make it practical. Still my biggest months have ranged from 51 to 120 Gbytes. (D800 NEFs or the high volume of D4 football JPGs add up quickly.) At my current upload speed, that would be 8.6 to 20.2 days. Maybe I could live with that because it only happens a few times per year.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66964 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.