Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66934
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dedicated DxO Forum?" Previous topic | Next topic
sfbillm Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2004Tue 30-Oct-12 11:16 PM
841 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dedicated DxO Forum?"

Santa Fe, US

DxO has announced v8, with some strong claims about new and interesting features.

If these claims prove to be true, I think that a dedicated DxO forum would be justified here.

Others' thoughts?

SantaFeBill

"My photos were more interesting before I learned the rules."

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 31-Oct-12 01:47 AM
14169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Dedicated DxO Forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Let's first see if there is sustained traffic that justifies a separate forum. We've had many experiences in the past where there was a lot of enthusiasm for a separate forum, but little interest by members in keeping it going. Often it will work better keeping a topic as part of a more broadly viewed area than when it's segregated.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 12:08 AM
442 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dedicated DxO Forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

I have used verion 7 here and there. Downloaded the version 8 trial last night. It definitely can do some very nice things. Since they have several products I think it might make sense to have a place to keep all of their software together.

For instance I recently bougth ViewPoint which is pretty astounding. Whether there is a lot of discussion to be had or not I don't know.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Sat 03-Nov-12 03:31 AM
241 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dedicated DxO Forum?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 03-Nov-12 03:45 AM by KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, GB

I'd suggest that - as Rick proposes - we wait and see what level of interest is shown here on Nikonians.

There's already a fairly sleepy but well-established DxO Labs Forum (on which incidentally I've got the slightly surreal Username 'Grade440C'). But even though there are some regular contributors there, and in spite of the fact that the Forum gets direct and laudable input sometimes from real live DxO Labs Support Staff, it is not a 'busy' Forum.

(At least it's not busy on the English-speaking side. I don't know how active it is on the more 'native' French-speaking sub-Forums.)

I'd say that the "Feature Requests" area on the DxO Labs Forum gets as much activity as the 'main' DxO Optics Pro Windows versions sub-Forum. It's certainly not an unwelcome place to visit but IMHO there's not a lot of what we (at Nikonians) would recognise as "discussion" there. The majority of posts are bullet-point observations or short question-answer quips about this or that DxO editing feature, or the occasional gripe about upgrade costs or the User Interface changes in newer DxO versions. My point here is that I don't think there's a significant population of DxO Users, even "over there", from which we could attract contributers to a new Nikonians Forum.

Perhaps more significant is the fact that on the dpreview Forums, "DxO" pops up quite often, and it is discussed at length there. So I think DxO's own Forum is a poor second-cousin to dpreview for people seeking opinions and 'community style' help on the software.

Another factor which might dilute our case for a dedicated DxO Forum here at Nikonians, while simultaneously boosting the dpreview Forums, is the recently announced accord between DxO Labs and dpreview !!

But the 'discussion climate' could always change ... because DxO Labs are clearly on a 'roller' with their recent expansion of their testing facilities (so expect more rapid coverage of new lens+body permutations), plus their new software sets (FilmPack and Viewpoint), plus their (allegedly) improving LightRoom integration "co-operative working" with LightRoom. (None of which I can vouch for myself).

And finally, after my upgrade to Version 8.0, even with my humble 12+megapixel D700, I am seeing some remarkable and very pleasing results from Version 8.0's improved sharpening and micro-contrast algorithms - so I wonder how much better those improvements would look with a D800 raw image!!?? So maybe the 'wind' will blow more strongly in this direction in a while?

(Off topic perhaps: I'm not 100% happy with all of the 'interface' changes that happened in DxO Optics Pro Version 8.0, and I'm in the process of sending a minor bug-report and some "niggles" to their Support Desk!! Change is never easy ...)

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
My Nikonians gallery
My other photo sites

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 06-Nov-12 03:41 PM
1762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Dedicated DxO Forum?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

I have used DxO for many years as my prime photo editing software. Though I believe that DxO is superior to other programs, there is only sporadic interest in this forum. Apparently, most Nikonians are firmly anchored to LR or NX2, and it therefore makes no sens to establish a specific DxO forum.

Tristan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.