nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66923
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is this too much processing before printing?" Previous topic | Next topic
netarc Registered since 16th May 2008Sun 28-Oct-12 12:37 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Is this too much processing before printing?"

US

I'm finally getting around to going through pictures shot from our late 2011 trip to S. America, and had hoped to print out a 16x20 print of the iconic Machu Picchu shot.

I processed the following picture in LR (contrast +24, black -19, clarity +45, sat +10, lens correction) in an attempt to give the printed image more depth and a bit more color.

I'm new to playing around with LR develop settings, esp for landscapes, though, so I'm wondering if I may have gone overboard?

Would appreciate any advice/feedback re: how you think the processed version came out and might look when printed? Thank you!

original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/netarc/8125846401/in/set-72157631859514575/

retouched: http://www.flickr.com/photos/netarc/8125847863/in/set-72157631859514575/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is this too much processing before printing?
mfphoto1
28th Oct 2012
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian.
28th Oct 2012
netarc
28th Oct 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
04th Nov 2012
walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Nov 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing.
05th Nov 2012
netarc
05th Nov 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing.
05th Nov 2012

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 28-Oct-12 02:05 AM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

The retouched one pops for me.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 28-Oct-12 02:25 AM
11886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I would ratchet back the Clarity setting, it looks a bit crunchy. Try something more on the order of +20 to 25.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

netarc Registered since 16th May 2008Sun 28-Oct-12 02:37 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks, I just did so, uploading the results now; I also applied "Sharpening" at 46 to give the city structure a little pop.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 04-Nov-12 09:38 PM
8918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

To me, the "retouched" version looks like there is an unnatural level of detail. I do like the direction, but I'd back off the detail or midtone contrast a bit. It seems that every rock wall and tree has detail - and my eye finds it overly busy even on a computer monitor. Increasing size to 16x20 or so will make that detail even more apparent - and distracting.

It's a personal decision and will depend a bit on what paper you are using.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 04-Nov-12 10:00 PM
14900 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Definitely too much! If you're using LR4, keep in mind that the clarity slider has about double the strength it had before in LR3. A setting of 45 is what 90 used to be, and that's a lot for scenes like this. 20-25 is probably the most I would use for this shot. Stay away from the saturation slider and use vibrance instead; you'll be much less likely to push colors into the clipping range. Finally, use LR4's new softproofing feature to both see what an image will roughly look like when printed (assuming you have printer profiles installed) as well as creating a separate proof copy to which you can do mild edits to overcome a slight loss in contrast or color saturation. Again, that last item is best fixed with vibrance. Keep the saturation slider for graphic images rather than landscapes.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 06:07 AM
1256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 5

Kleinburg, CA

Would I be correct in assuming the retouching has been ratcheted back in response to previous suggestions? The processed version doesn’t seem overcooked to me.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

netarc Registered since 16th May 2008Mon 05-Nov-12 06:06 PM
#7. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Yes, I had changed it per Ernesto's suggestions, and uploaded the new version; the comments from 11/4, though, must be referring to the new one?

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Mon 05-Nov-12 06:16 PM
1256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is this too much processing before printing?"
In response to Reply # 7

Kleinburg, CA

What's there now looks fine to me.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66923 Previous topic | Next topic