Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66906
View in linear mode

Subject: "Saving photographs on CD or DVD" Previous topic | Next topic
Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Tue 23-Oct-12 06:02 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
Tue 23-Oct-12 06:26 PM by Marcial

US

I need advice.

I used to save many of my photographs on disks. The software I had for this single task were Roxio and Nero, basically. The problems that I have now is that Windows 7 seems to be incompatible with the old versions of both software.

I recently tried the default program that comes with Windows for burning CDs or DVDs but I don't like it. Maybe it's because I also have Picasa installed in my PC and Picasa seems to be a little intrusive. For instance, when I organize all my photos in folders, Picasa inserts some folders named "picasaoriginals" that I do not want and that I don't need.

What should I do? What good program do you recommend for saving pictures and even documents on disks?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD
Asgard Administrator
23rd Oct 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
23rd Oct 2012
mfphoto1
23rd Oct 2012
Marcial Silver Member
23rd Oct 2012
Marcial Silver Member
23rd Oct 2012
ndtking Gold Member
11th Nov 2012
aolander Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
SilversidesNC Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member
04th Dec 2012
dgberg Silver Member
06th Dec 2012

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Tue 23-Oct-12 07:19 PM
50947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 23-Oct-12 07:20 PM by Asgard

East Frisia, DE

Is there a reason for using CD or DVD ?

It would look for an external hard drive.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 23-Oct-12 09:24 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Picasa does not modify your original images and allows for removal of your edit steps by maintaining a database of all changes.

To make a CD/DVD that is not a backup I would try the Gift CD or DVD.

You could also "export' the edited images to a new folder and then burn that folder of images to a CD/DVD.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 23-Oct-12 10:36 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

I would buy an external drive or additional internal drive and back up to that. Less space used, no worry of losing individual DVDs or having to sort thru DVDs trying to remember which one has the image you're looking for and lastly no extra software needed to copy images to the back up drive.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Tue 23-Oct-12 10:47 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Sorry, I did not explain the problem properly.

My hard disk has 12 TB, and it is a new PC, so I have plenty of space for my pictures. I burn CDs or DVDs with some my photographs just to send them to friends. Email would make it very difficult considering the resolution/size and the of the pictures. This is the reason why I want to have some pictures on CD/DVD.

Yes, whenever I want to burn a CD or a DVD I put all the photos in a folder first. The problem I am presently having is that when using the Windows default program for burning the disk, I get those "picasaoriginal" folders mixed with the actual folders that I want to have on the disks I burn.

Marcial Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2010Tue 23-Oct-12 10:49 PM
#5. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks, George, I will try the "Gift CD or DVD" tomorrow morning.

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Sun 11-Nov-12 08:30 AM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 5

Kitchener, CA

You could also try Ashampoo Burning Studio. I'm not sure about the price, but they always seem to have sales during which you can pick it up for less than $25. You can also download the software and try it free for a month.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian
Flickr Gallery:www.flickr.com/photos/ndtking

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 02:01 PM
3242 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 4

Nevis, US

"My hard disk has 12 TB, and it is a new PC, so I have plenty of space for my pictures."

You still need a backup drive. If all of your images are on one drive and it dies, you will have lost all of your images. Being 12 TB and new doesn't mean it can't happen.

Alan

SilversidesNC Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2009Tue 04-Dec-12 12:22 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 4

Jamestown, US

You might want to consider using Dropbox to share your pictures - your friends will have near instant access to them, it's free and the more friends that download/use it, the more free space you get.

I've used it to distribute photos with several friends/clients - it works well.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 04-Dec-12 04:52 PM
5929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Hmm, I'm using an older version of Nero in Windows 7 with no problem. (I think it is Nero Essentials 8). There is a new verson of Nero that just does disk burning, not all of the other stuff that the full version does. I think it is called Nero ROM Burning, or something like that.

Windows native burning routing is pretty bad.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

dgberg Silver Member Dan is an accomplished photographer and fine art printer. With his fine art printing business and workshop experience he eagerly shares a unique perspective with all Nikonians - how to produce salable professional prints to discerning customers and teaching those skills. Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 06:11 PM
1203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Saving photographs on CD or DVD"
In response to Reply # 9

Mohnton,Pa., US

One stop shop for all your photography processing. - Lightroom 4
You can burn from within Lightroom,Photo Mechanic is another.

Dan Berg
www.bergscanvasgallery.com
www.bergscustomfurniture.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66906 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.