Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66894
View in linear mode

Subject: "Easy, Efficient workflow question" Previous topic | Next topic
Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Sun 14-Oct-12 05:42 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Easy, Efficient workflow question"

Denton, US

I started using digital in 2006. I knew nothing about organizing, processing or archiving at that time. I started back then importing with the normal windows importing and used Picture Project to do any post processing and burned all my photos to disc to save them. Since then I have learned and progressed, but not to the extent that I feel I am where I need to be. Now I use Nikon Transfer for import, ViewNX2 for viewing and cataloging and Capture NX2 for post processing.I still burn my photos to disc and backup to an external hard drive for extra backup. I do not shoot raw very often and I am not necessarily interested in learning or doing a lot of extensive photo manipulation, just minor tweaks and cropping.
My question is what advice would you give to someone like me that likes to keep things very organized, simple and efficient? I am mainly a jpeg shooter of family events, vacations and any other subjects I have interest in. I am not a professional and never will be. I just love photography and want to document life for future generations in my family and want my workflow to be the most efficient I can make it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Easy, Efficient workflow question
esantos Moderator
14th Oct 2012
Brent Melton Silver Member
14th Oct 2012
R Neil
16th Oct 2012
kj_fi Silver Member
16th Oct 2012
Brent Melton Silver Member
20th Oct 2012

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 14-Oct-12 07:00 PM
11510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Easy, Efficient workflow question"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

I would recommend Adobe Photoshop Lightroom which does everything you are doing now all under one roof. There would be no need to use three different applications as you are currently using. Frankly, if you are not interested in shooting raw then there is not a lot of benefit to using Capture NX2.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Sun 14-Oct-12 07:20 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Easy, Efficient workflow question"
In response to Reply # 1

Denton, US

Thanks for the response. Exactly the kind of advice I am looking for. An all in one solution would be great.

R Neil Registered since 30th Aug 2012Tue 16-Oct-12 12:22 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Easy, Efficient workflow question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Would second the suggestion to go to Lr ... again, mainly as it will do all you need (and a lot more, just ignore all that for now) and it makes it easy to do that which will make your photos still interesting and USEFUL in the future ... KEYWORDS AND METADATA!

When you put some images into your "catalog", which is what your collected on-disk images are called in Lightroom-speak, it's easy to select individual images or groups of images and type in or select already-used keywords, which Lr can then both keep in it's own record-system AND put back into the files themselves if you request it to.

You can also use the metadata fields in the Library module to apply complete metadata templates into the fields as you wish to create them, or just fill out a few fields ... and fill out any more you wish to use later.

This would be for things like ... where the image was taken (place, town, state, and country fields), what the event was, who took the image, any copyright/use restrictions placed on the image, creator-contact info ... and much more.

Making a few simple templates, and applying those to any images you have, along with a few keywords, will make it SO much easier for ANYONE to go through the images years later and first, FIND anything or anyone, and second ... have an idea what they've got.

Vastly better than simply un-named pics jammed in old shoe-boxes, which my family certainly had its share of!

Neil

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007Tue 16-Oct-12 03:49 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Easy, Efficient workflow question"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Hi,

I also recommend Lightroom. It might take some time to get used to but once you're in, you won't look back.

The tip for metadata such as 'keywords' is more important than you might think. Letäs take an example. If you only name the image files or store them in folders, like "Family", "Friends", "Hobby" or "Jack-Jones-the-butcher-at-the-shop-in-2009.jpeg", you won't be able to remember if a particular picture contains properties from other categories like "Family"; an image usually contains more than just one subject in it.

On the other hand, if you set keywords "Jack", "Friend", "Portrait", "Accident", "Funny", "Paris" you can easily see how much potential you have finding or sorting the photos you are looking for. Actually, when you import files to Lightroom, you don't even have to care too much about how the files are stored -- as long as they follow some common sense storing strategy and you are able to back them up.

My additional tip would be this: shoot in raw. After you have imported the photos to Lightroom, you decide yourself which pictures you show, email to others or upload to your web site. Only at this point you need to convert them to JPEGs and that is accomplished very easily with Lightroom.

The advantage with the raw format is that you have a better starting point for post processing, whether it is just adjusting the exposure, cropping, tilting, fixing the white balance or applying noise filtering. Those are probably the things you'll find doing most or at least first. Please note that a JPEG image uses only 8 bits for each color component (red, green and blue). A D3 raw image uses 14 bits per color component. That gives much more room for adjustment.

Best regards,
Kari

Brent Melton Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Apr 2012Sat 20-Oct-12 05:22 AM
#5. "RE: Easy, Efficient workflow question"
In response to Reply # 4

Denton, US

Thanks Guys for the advice. Sorry it has taken me this long to respond. I have been out of pocket all week and this is my first oppurtunity to respond. I will check into Lightroom.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66894 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.