Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66852
View in linear mode

Subject: "The Benefit of Lightroom and/or Capture in addition to ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Thu 06-Sep-12 04:48 AM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The Benefit of Lightroom and/or Capture in addition to Elements 10"

Fort Kent, CA

I recently bought Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 (it came packaged with Premier 10) and have started to learn how to use it. Fortunately there is lots and lots of help on line about PE10 including on-line tutorials that I've been watching and learning from. It is fun to play with my photo's and transform them with the various "elements" of PE10. Here is one sample of my efforts at transforming an image.

Still so much to learn, but I'm enjoying playing with my pictures.

Anyway onto my question .....

I see that Lightroom is used by many of the users here but am not sure what benefit I would get from another photo editing software package. PE10 also is an organizer (with a cool face recognition system that kinda works) - does these two Adobe products integrate with each other when it comes to organizing the photos?

I also note that some use Nikon's Capture software - again the same question; what is the added benefit of either of these other programs?

I have Nikon's ViewNX2 which came packaged with my D5100. Have not made much use of that program at all but suppose I should spend some more time with it and what it offers. I noticed that I have to make an adjustment, then pause and after a short delay (10-30 seconds) the image is transformed. In PE10 the changes are made to the on screen image almost instantly. Could be my computer is good for PE10 but not for the free ViewNX2 (that would be odd but possible). I'm using a ASUS AMD Quad Core PC with 4 g of ram running Windows 7 64 Bit, when I was using PS10 to assemble ten images into one panoram I did get an "out of RAM" message so I guess it is time to upgrade to 8G of Ram, good excuse as any eh?.

Each program does require an investment of a few dollars (well several dollars really with prices in the $150-$200 range) but more importantly an investment of time to learn a new program.

I know that I have the option of downloading them and trying them out but before I go through the effort and time needed to download and install them I'd like some recommendation on the benefit they provide. I live in rural Canada on the other side of the technological divide where fast internet is not available, but at least the satelite system is faster than dial up which had become painfully slow.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rwwright Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2003Thu 06-Sep-12 05:12 AM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The Benefit of Lightroom and/or Capture in addition to Elements 10"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Sep-12 05:15 AM by rwwright

Fairview, TX, US

quick comment on computer. 4gig ram is just not enough for windows 7, if you do anything photographically.

i really never used elements. had it a few times, but have always had photoshop in some form. (i found a copy of photoshlp on floppy disk awhile back). only with digital cameras did photoshop become important to me.

i used nikon software a year or so, but just didnt like it.

as soon as LR came out, i bought it for cataloging (i had used two other cataloging products before, including one i wrote myself)

with LR3, it has become my primary editing tool. i find it far eaiser to use than photoshop or nikon software. i use photoshop for some more complicated adjustments (about 5% of my adjustments)

just in case i have not been clear, i really really like LR4.

doesnt really answer your question since i never really used elements and certainly not in any recent timeframe.

My Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66852 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.