Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66799
View in linear mode

Subject: "Software for tagging photos" Previous topic | Next topic
outdoors4me Registered since 16th Nov 2009Tue 21-Aug-12 03:59 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Software for tagging photos"

US

Hello all,

I need something that will tag people in old scanned family photos just like the tagging that you can do in Facebook.

Can anyone recommend something?

Thanks,

Beck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Software for tagging photos
kj_fi Silver Member
25th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Aug 2012
outdoors4me
25th Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
26th Aug 2012
outdoors4me
26th Aug 2012

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007Sat 25-Aug-12 04:00 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Software for tagging photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Hi Beck,

since nobody else hasn't answered yet, I do. I think the tags in Facebook - as far as I understand them - are not included in the images but stored separately. To store them in the file requires certain features from the file format and I'm not sure if a JPEG file format, for example, can hold such data. However, it does store some data.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. Could you elaborate a little what kind of information you would like to tag?

Best regards,
Kari

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 25-Aug-12 06:03 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Software for tagging photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

"Tagging" an image is not very clear. You can add a caption, keywords and values pairs, or there are various software products like Picassa or Nikonians Annotate that can select and area of an image and add associate a comment with that section. Picassa can even search for faces and add name to the faces.I do not know if the area marking and comments marking techniques are unique among products.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

outdoors4me Registered since 16th Nov 2009Sat 25-Aug-12 08:42 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Software for tagging photos"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks for the replies guys.

What I'm doing is scanning old family photos. I want to be able to click on the faces in the pics and assign names - like Uncle Joe, Grandpa Goober, etc.

And I'd like to share these pics with other family members after I tag the cast of characters.

Beck

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 26-Aug-12 12:44 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Software for tagging photos"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Since it it not standardized, then you and your family members will need the same software and you will need to be able to export the images with the tags.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

outdoors4me Registered since 16th Nov 2009Sun 26-Aug-12 01:38 AM
#5. "RE: Software for tagging photos"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Since it it not standardized, then you and your family
>members will need the same software and you will need to be
>able to export the images with the tags.

OK, so Picassa or Nikonians Annotate will do that?

Thanks, Beck

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66799 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.