Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66798
View in linear mode

Subject: "water mark" Previous topic | Next topic
liceo Registered since 05th Aug 2008Tue 21-Aug-12 06:34 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"water mark"

Antioch, US

Hello everyone. I'd like to ask, what software would you recommend to apply a water mark to your photos. I frequently upload photos to my alumni website and not being the only amateur photographer I would like to make sure my photos are not "borrowed" without asking.

Any suggestion will be quite welcome.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: water mark
ericbowles Moderator
21st Aug 2012
liceo
21st Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
21st Aug 2012
liceo
21st Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
21st Aug 2012
liceo
21st Aug 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
22nd Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
22nd Aug 2012
jimsanders Silver Member
27th Aug 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 21-Aug-12 09:46 PM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I use Photo Mechanic since it works very well with Nikon post processing software. Photoshop Elements and Lightroom have a similar capability.

The other trick is to keep the image size small - to the point where it is not useful for anything beyond the web and a small print.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

liceo Registered since 05th Aug 2008Tue 21-Aug-12 10:12 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 1

Antioch, US

Thanks Eric. I will give it a try this weekend when I plan to photograph outdoor places around the neighborhood.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 21-Aug-12 09:54 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

You could also add your copyright information to the Exif and XMP meta data. And you still may want to pursue users who use your images with authorization or your copyright could mean nothing.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

liceo Registered since 05th Aug 2008Tue 21-Aug-12 10:14 PM
#4. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 2

Antioch, US

I've heard of this method before but I have never tried it out. I'll be doing some reading about those topics this weekend as well.

Thanks George!

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 21-Aug-12 10:35 PM
8472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

I have both the copyright field filled out and the comment section with my name and website. It makes it pretty easy to track unless someone strips out the data during conversion.

Photo Mechanic and others are also useful for any kind of information you want tagged into the image.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

liceo Registered since 05th Aug 2008Tue 21-Aug-12 10:39 PM
#6. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 5

Antioch, US

The way you describe its fucntions it is a complete copyright/proteccion software of digital photos. I will explore all the options and try it with dummy photos.

Thanks again Eric!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 22-Aug-12 04:35 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

Since copyright laws around the world are changing and digital media has caused a number of changes, you should discuss this with a copyright or intellectual attorney.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 22-Aug-12 04:42 PM
#8. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

/I'm not sure I would say PM is a copyright/protection product. But it does support properly populating the EXIF data that is standard in most images. It also is good at rendering JPEG files from edited images so the copyright is a nice and easy feature.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

jimsanders Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Mar 2008Mon 27-Aug-12 03:06 PM
931 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: water mark"
In response to Reply # 0

Buffalo, US

I have found Photoshop Elements to be an easy way to watermark a photo. There is a video available to subscribers of Photoshop Elements Techniques magazine that describes how to create a brush with your copyright/signature information. Basically, you use a scanned image of your signature or create a text file in Elements and save it as a brush. It then becomes a brush available for all future photos - fully adjustable in size, placement, opacity and even color.

Here is an example of what mine looks like:

I then post my small file on the web for viewing. If someone wants to rip off a 150KB file and edit out my signature I guess I can't stop them. At least I know they won't be printing it out and making millions off of my work

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66798 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.