Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66790
View in linear mode

Subject: "What is the best file format for LR-4: PSD or TIFF" Previous topic | Next topic
MS Photog Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2011Mon 06-Aug-12 10:08 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What is the best file format for LR-4: PSD or TIFF"

Carthage, US

I am currently scanning several thousand slides. I am using a CanonScan 95 flat bed scanner that has a tray holding 12 slides. I scan at 2400 dpi and it takes about 15 minutes to scan 12 slides. This results in tiff files of about 20mb.

I have been using Photoshop Elements 8 to import the files into my Windows 7 Professional PC. I have been saving the files as TIFF. But I can also save them as PSD files. I then import the files into Lightroom 4 for enhancement. Which file format should I be using? Does PSD offer more information for Lightroom than TIFF?

BTW, I am upset with Adobe that my new Photoshop Elements 10 no longer supports importing from my scanner.

Marlin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 07-Aug-12 12:47 AM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What is the best file format for LR-4: PSD or TIFF"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

If you are intent on working on those scans in Lightroom I see no benefit of saving them in the PSD format. TIFF is a more standard format for your workflow. The PSD format is suited more as a master file when used in Photoshop.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66790 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.