Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66754
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which software to purchase" Previous topic | Next topic
terps1969 Registered since 29th Nov 2011Mon 09-Jul-12 01:11 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which software to purchase"

Loudon, US

I recently purchased a new IMac computer and I am thinking about up grading my software. I currently use Elements 9 but am considering LR4 or Aperture. One some images I have to use the clone tool to remove things. It is my understanding LR and Aperture do not have this type of function. My question is should I use LR because it should work better with elements or can I use Apeture?

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007Tue 10-Jul-12 09:26 AM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which software to purchase"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Hi Bill,

there is a cloning/healing tool in Lightroom (in the 'Develop module') but I'm not sure if it works exactly like in Elements. I have never used Aperture, so I cannot comment it.

I also upgraded from Elements to Lightroom 1.0 a few years ago. I think it extended the features in Elements in many ways but I cannot comment the differences with the latest version of Elements.

I recommend downloading Lightroom 4.1 and trying it out first.

A tip: you may want to import your current images to your evaluation version of Lightroom but be careful not to MOVE them in the import process so that the images remain accessible from Elements as well. For example, you could either COPY them to make duplicates of the images or just ADD them to the catalogue while keeping the image files in the original location. Please note that Lightroom does not modify original files, so you could just ADD them to the catalogue.

Once you have a few images in Lightroom, you can switch to the Development module (just click the 'Develop' text in the upper right corner) and see if the tools are to your satisfaction.

If you decide to switch to Lightroom, learn enough about the import process so that your migration from Elements to Lightroom goes as smoothly as possible.

Best regards,
Kari

terps1969 Registered since 29th Nov 2011Sat 14-Jul-12 02:55 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which software to purchase"
In response to Reply # 1

Loudon, US

Kari,

Thanks for the information. I will give Lightroom a try.

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66754 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.