Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66700
View in linear mode

Subject: "Creating a slideshow for HD TV viewing from blu ray" Previous topic | Next topic
kw_starling Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2012Thu 28-Jun-12 06:34 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Creating a slideshow for HD TV viewing from blu ray"

UK

I apologise if this has been asked many times before but searching it only found threads from several years back, which hardly relevant for HD televisions of today.

1. I use a Nikon D7000 which takes images of 4928x3264px with a resolution of 200px/inch. I'm assuming I need to drop the image size to 1920x1280px for viewing on a HD PAL TV set but what about the px/inch setting? Is this fine if left as it is?

2. I'm also looking to create HD stills slideshow and also play video footage shot on a recent holiday to Canada. I'm currently doing the all editing on my iMac. I'm working on the assumption that I need to output @ 1920x1080p, 25fps for a PAL HD 1 screen. Is this correct?

Obviously this project means going for Blu Ray which I don't have yet so I'm looking to buy an external BR burner for my iMac and a player for playback to the TV. It's also looking as though my existing Mac editing s/w may need reviewing. I've used Capture NX2 for my NEF edits for years and iPhoto for JPEGs but I'm current looking at a trial for LR4. It may be that the video side of this project needs more than iMovie can provide. Suggestions welcome.

If there are any Mac owning Nikonians who've already done this and can share their experiences (good and bad!) on both s/w and h/w I'd welcome some advice.

Fred

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 28-Jun-12 09:41 PM
11816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Creating a slideshow for HD TV viewing from blu ray"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

The images coming out of your camera actually do not have a ppi setting. They are simply made up of 4928 pixels by 3264 pixels. PPI is really only important when you apply your image to the print medium. For monitor (TV) display it is not relevant. I would just concentrate on setting the image resolution to match the TV so that it fits in that aspect ratio without leaving letterbox bars, this may mean some amount of cropping.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

kw_starling Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2012Sat 30-Jun-12 04:21 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Creating a slideshow for HD TV viewing from blu ray"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Thanks for your reply, Ernesto.

OK, that I can do or at least the Mac can. It should give the processor a workout, downsizing several hundred images.

Fred

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66700 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.