Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66696
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?" Previous topic | Next topic
Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 26-Jun-12 05:56 PM
1188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?"

Savannah, US

I did a search here and only found a post from 2009. So, hoping that folks have had more exposure to both since then, I decided to post a new question here. If you have use one or the other, or both, which would you recommend? Ease of use, and quality of results are my most important criteria, but cost and quality of support also count. Thanks.

Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?
JonK Moderator
26th Jun 2012
mborn1 Silver Member
26th Jun 2012
schadowrider Platinum Member
08th Jul 2012
z062002
26th Jun 2012
augustf Gold Member
08th Jul 2012
Captain Rich Silver Member
10th Jul 2012

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 26-Jun-12 06:48 PM
4633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Hopefully others who have used both will weigh in…

I use Nik Color Efex Pro 4 filters. Great interface, lots of power, lots of variation within each filter — and the unique Control Point technology for local adjustment which really cannot be beat. Of the 50+ filters, there are a handful of straight adjustment filters that are in many ways more powerful than the similar controls in most of the "darkroom" software; another handful of filters for traditional special effects that are also excellent; and a whole bunch of other special effect or wild and weird filters, some of which you may like.

I know nothing about Topaz except to have been impressed with some slightly surreal effects used regularly by a few Nikonians.

Assuming you are also interested in B&W or HDR, there is a potential bargain in purchasing Nik's Complete Collection.

Download the 30-day Color Efex Pro 4 trial and give it w whirl!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Tue 26-Jun-12 07:40 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?"
In response to Reply # 1

Taunton, US

I have both bundles and each has their own use. There are free trials avalable on both sites. So try them out to see what suits you the best

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

schadowrider Platinum Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2012Sun 08-Jul-12 08:44 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?"
In response to Reply # 2

Rochester, US

Agreed -- I have, and use, both bundles.

I find it easier to get to some nice and quick results with Topaz -- seems easier to use. The presets can be heavy handed, but quite easily dialed back as necessary. I also think Topaz does a much better job promoting their webcasts, which I find very helpful (maybe Nik does the same and I'm just not on the right mailing list...).

On the other hand, I think the Nik products can give a much more refined and high quality result (just harder -- at least for me... -- to get at). I haven't had much opportunity yet, but I'm looking forward to playing with their HDR module (I don't think Topaz even has one).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://shadowriderimages.com

z062002 Basic MemberTue 26-Jun-12 09:02 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?"
In response to Reply # 0

Coral Springs, US

Rich,

I own Nik Color Efex Pro 4, Topaz Bundle, and OnOne Perfect Photo Suite 6. My go to program is Nik Color Efex Pro because of the 50+ filter presets, but Topaz and Perfect Photo Suites have a lot of presets and functions that I use in my work flow. As mentioned previously, download the free programs and check out the free tutorials that provide brief overviews. Perfect Mask 5 in Perfect Photo is great for producing masks of difficult subjects, i.e., hair, tree branches, etc.

Jerry

augustf Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2007Sun 08-Jul-12 06:56 PM
1407 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?"
In response to Reply # 0

Aldie, US

Hi Rich,

I've used Topaz Adjust and Topaz Detail, but frankly, I've not been able to get the results that I would like; and that is "pilot error" because I've seen others get very good results from Topaz products.

My personal choice and recommendation is the Nik suite from noise removal to sharpening. I enjoy visual presets of Color Efex Pro and Silver Efex Pro as starting points. The U-point technology can't be beat for selective adjustments. I've also used HDR Pro which I prefer over Photomatix. But it's all personal preference. Download the trials and see which ones you prefer.

-August

De l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace!

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 10-Jul-12 04:25 PM
1188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nik vs. Topaz Bundle?"
In response to Reply # 4

Savannah, US

Thanks for all the advice, guys. I'm doing a good bit of traveling and haven't been able to download the trials yet, but it seems the prevailing opinion is Nik. Anyone know which bundle works better in a Capture NX2 environment? I understand the Nik bundle works with LR, or as a TIF based standalone with NX2. I don't know how Topaz operates in this scenario.

Rich

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66696 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.