Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66673
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best Post Processing Software for D-800" Previous topic | Next topic
eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Sun 17-Jun-12 12:50 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best Post Processing Software for D-800"

Eliot, US

I'm wondering if there are some suggestions for which post-processing software is the best for the D-800.

I've been using Aperture, from Apple, and with the D-800 the colors appear to be not the same as they were with my D-300 or D-90. Some of my issues can be operator error as I am still learning how to use the D-800.

But, if anyone has solid suggestions, or thoughts, I'm listening.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best Post Processing Software for D-800
wfmcgrath3
17th Jun 2012
Bokeh888
17th Jun 2012
esantos Moderator
17th Jun 2012
walkerr Administrator
17th Jun 2012
ljordan316 Silver Member
17th Jun 2012
eliot3b4 Platinum Member
17th Jun 2012

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 26th Feb 2012Sun 17-Jun-12 01:39 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best Post Processing Software for D-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Livingston, US

You didn't specify whether you were shooting RAW or jpg, so it's tough to guess. If you're shooting RAW, then the image you see in post is due to how Aperture is processing and rendering the image. If you're shooting jpg/tiff, then the rendering is done in-camera according to the image settings you have selected, such as sharpening, saturation, color space, white balance, etc.

I have never used Aperture as I'm a PC/Lightroom guy. Lightroom has defaults set for how it will process a RAW image, and these are user-adjustable. How you set them will affect how your image is imported and displayed. I would assume that this is true for Aperture as well. If you're importing jpg/tiff, Lightroom will leave the image alone by default, but you can change that, too.

You might want to reset Aperture's import processing settings to their factory defaults and see if this affects your results, and progress from there.

I'm currently running LR 4.1 and PS 6. My D800 is due to arrive Tuesday, and I can't wait. I do all my post on an HP laptop with an i7 quad core processor, 8GB RAM, and high-rpm drives. I'm waiting to see how snappy it will be with the large RAW files that the 800 will produce. I've got my fingers crossed...

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

Bokeh888 Registered since 31st Dec 2011Sun 17-Jun-12 02:43 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best Post Processing Software for D-800"
In response to Reply # 0

South Florida, US

I too use Aperture, now with my D800E. For me the greatest improvement in post processing has been with NIK software. It is just awesome! The software seamlessly integrates with Aperture and with a right-click of the mouse you can use it on a photo in Aperture. Considering everything in the market, it is not overly complicated to learn and cost effective. There are numerous pre-sets or you can create your own templates and use them over and over. For example: some for portraits and others for landscapes.

Color Efex Pro 4 and Vivenza 2 are really stellar. Sometimes B & H runs a special on their entire NIK package (I own the entire package). I suggest you Google NIK software as they have tutorials. Also, I have called them and they are very friendly and competent. To me, NIK was a real find and I used it all of the time. All the best. Good luck.

Nikon D 800E, Nikon D7000
Nikon 24mm/1.4G
Nikon 85mm/1.4G
Really Right Stuff TQC-14 Tripod/BH-40 ball head/D800E L Plate

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 17-Jun-12 02:50 PM
11379 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best Post Processing Software for D-800"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

There is no "best" solution for a person using a D800. Image editing software varies but they all work under the same principle - manipulating pixels. Now, if you are shooting images in the NEF format then you should consider what is available and how each program handles the sensor data in the raw file. Nikon Capture NX 2 is able to read all the settings from your camera and thus you get in post pretty much what you see in the LCD of the camera. All other raw converters can only read the white balance setting in the camera and will usually generate a neutral or "flat" image as a starting point. Programs like Lightroom and ACR in Photoshop use camera profiles to give you different starting points and apply settings that replicate either the camera settings or for specific types of images such as landscape or portraits, vivid, etc. You can even develop your own custom profiles. Once you demosaic the raw file into an image file you are then working with the pixels in an image such as you would if you are shooting to JPG or TIF.

If you are seeing color changes in your D800 files in Aperture I would look at the color management settings in Aperture. What color space are you sending the files to? What color space do you have selected in the the camera? For the most compatibility set these to the same space.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 17-Jun-12 02:51 PM
14178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best Post Processing Software for D-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

While I don't normally use Aperture, I have a copy and have tried it with my D800 files. From everything I saw, it worked very well, and I saw no problems with colors, etc. Keep in mind that colors vary a bit from camera to camera, coupled with color profiles having been created by Apple at differing points in time. I'd give it a bit more time and not jump to a different software package.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010Sun 17-Jun-12 02:57 PM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best Post Processing Software for D-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Inverness, US

I am not an Aperture user. I was using Photoshop CS5 and the Topaz Suite of plug-ins. Since buying the D800, I have upgraded to CS6 and switched to the Nik plug-ins. CS6 works really well with the big D800 images. It finally uses the full 64-bit capability of my computer and the quad processors to speed up operations.

The Nik plug-ins are incredible. I have friends who have been using them for over a year; they have raved about the tools many times. I finally switched because Topaz was causing my computer to lock up too often. I will never go back...well, not soon. Nik Color Efex Pro produces more realistic results with greater details. Topaz Adjust and Clean sometimes seem to take away details.

I am sure it is a leap frog with this software just like it is with other software. Right now, Nik is ahead for me.

With all of these tools, it is still a good idea to re-boot your computer after an hour or two of editing. The software vendors don't do a good job of controlling their use of memory. The computer will start to slow down after a while, and the only way to get the memory and speed back is to re-boot.

Larry Jordan

D800E, 14-24, 16-35, 50, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Sun 17-Jun-12 09:35 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Best Post Processing Software for D-800"
In response to Reply # 5

Eliot, US

I have a lot of confusion between Raw and Jpeg.

I am shooting in Raw with Jpeg. I am under the impression Raw is better because you can do post processing but with Jpeg I am limited in post processing.

I received the Nikon Image transfer with the D90, and did not really like it. I had Aperture already and just kept updating it, and found it was doing what I needed.

I tried using it today and the program was just plain SLOW.

But, I am willing to change and try something different. Not to just change, but to improve what I am doing with my photos.

I appreciate the time people are taking to answer my questions. There is a lot for me to learn.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66673 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.