nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66498
View in linear mode

Subject: "Working with RAW(NEF) files with Elements 8" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 05-Apr-12 06:56 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Working with RAW(NEF) files with Elements 8"

Traverse City, US

I've been shooting only JPEG and working with Elements 8 for post work. For the first time since I've had that software I fired off a couple RAW shots with my D300, uploaded them to iPhoto on my Mac and decided to practice working with RAW files. So I went thru the standard procedure...hit file..open and selected a RAW photo into the work area and did some color control work then hit save as and was looking for some kind of question about the RAW file. Nothing seemed to be any different than working with JPEG files unless I missed some step. Elements 8 does have a RAW converter according to Adobe...and it does show as RAW on the extended info for that file in iPhoto. Looking for a little help on this one. Thanks in advance.

p.s. I have a D800E on order and will be switching to Capture NX 2 when it arrives and shooting strictly RAW with that camera.

Peter

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Fri 06-Apr-12 02:09 AM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Working with RAW(NEF) files with Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Peter -

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but I assume you were looking for a 'save as..' NEF option. The Adobe workflow will not write to a NEF file, it keeps the NEF as the master image and saves the ACR-based edit steps in a sidecar .xmp file.

I have Lightroom, not PSE8, but I believe if you convert the NEF to DNG, then the edits can be saved back to the DNG file.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 06-Apr-12 12:50 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Working with RAW(NEF) files with Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Paul

I was looking for something that wasn't there I guess. I was expecting the system to work differently because I was in RAW and larger files...I know the drop down box and the various options for saving the file to DNG...I'll play around with it some more this weekend.. but from what I can see...working with RAW is no different than working with JPEG's as far as the process goes. I know the final file size is larger and quality should be better. I'll be interested to see what it's like working with Capture NX.

cheers
Peter

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Fri 06-Apr-12 11:41 PM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Working with RAW(NEF) files with Elements 8"
In response to Reply # 2

Swisher, US

The real difference in workflow is to get your head around non-destructive editing.

The raw sensor data from the NEF is never altered, it resides as the master image data.
Edits that you make to the image are saved as parameters and can be changed after the fact.
An output image is generated from the combination of raw data + the parametric inputs. The output image is an RGB file (tiff/jpg/psd).
You can generate multiple looks from a single raw image such as color, b&w, high-contrast, etc., by creating different parameter sets and not having to duplicate the raw image data.

Hope your D800E and CNX2 arrives soon. Should be quite a camera.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66498 Previous topic | Next topic