Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66473
View in linear mode

Subject: "ControlMyNikon" Previous topic | Next topic
johnsal Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2009Sat 31-Mar-12 06:00 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"ControlMyNikon"

Hercules, US

Has anyone tried the program 'ControlMyNikon'? I downloaded the trial version to try it out. It consistently crashed running on my HP laptop with Vista OS. It ran OK on my desktop under Windows 7 64bit, but drained the fully charged battery on my D700 in about 20 minutes of use.
Any suggestions or comments?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Sat 31-Mar-12 06:50 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: ControlMyNikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 31-Mar-12 06:52 PM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

I use the program quite a bit on a Vista 32 bit HP laptop and W7 64 bit PC with no crashes or bugs. Any camera connected to a USB port will have battery drain but it seems your 20 minutes is excessive. I have done 2 hours of timelapse with my D40 and still had plenty of life left. My D7000 is even better but I have not done anything longer than an hour with it.

Is the lens you have mounted a VR lens? That could be a big drain if the VR is on constantly.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

johnsal Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2009Mon 02-Apr-12 03:30 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: ControlMyNikon"
In response to Reply # 1

Hercules, US

Dean,
Thanks for your response.
I contacted ControlMyNikon tech support. They suggested using a different USB port on the laptop. That seemed to fix the crash problem.
As to battery life, I do not have the lens VR on since the camera is mounted on a tripod.
I am using the program to do focus staking, so Live View is on much of the time. Perhaps that is why the battery life is so short. ControlMyNikon tech support did not address the battery problem in their e-mail response.

Al
Hercules, CA

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 02-Apr-12 04:30 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: ControlMyNikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 02-Apr-12 04:38 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

When teetered, the camera draws no power from the PC and the use of the USB port also forces the camera's circuitry for exposure metering and focusing to remain on and active.

Not uncommon for any device in the USB port or the serial data port of the 10 pin accessory port to drain a battery in 30 minutes or less. This is the maximum continuous on time a camera battery can supply. It is best to use an external power supply when tethered. Live View probably draws more current since the back LCD is constantly on.

See page 238 of your user manual for information about connecting to a computer.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

johnsal Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2009Wed 04-Apr-12 08:47 PM
#4. "RE: ControlMyNikon"
In response to Reply # 3

Hercules, US

George,
Thanks for the responce and the information.

Al

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66473 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.