Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66465
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightroom vs. NX2 with Creative Suite 6" Previous topic | Next topic
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Tue 27-Mar-12 11:34 PM
9571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Lightroom vs. NX2 with Creative Suite 6"

Boston Area, US

I'm one of those weird people who tends to "skip" software releases. As a result, I'm still using Adobe Creative Suite 4. That version of Photoshop will not work with D800 NEF's. I can use View NX2 to convert them to 16-bit TIFF's, but needless to say this isn't optimal.

I'm willing to buy either Lightroom 4 or Capture NX2, but not both. Given my plans to buy CS6 shortly after release, would it make sense to buy Lightroom and gain the organizational stuff, or NX2 and get some alternative editing capabilities long term?

If you want to photograph a man spinning, give some thought to why he spins. Understanding for a photographer is as important as the equipment he uses. - Margaret Bourke-White

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Wed 28-Mar-12 01:22 AM
1034 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightroom vs. NX2 with Creative Suite 6"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

If you intend to utilize the Adobe toolset, I think Lightroom is the right choice. Incompatable software leads to cumbersome workflow. Depending upon your post-processing needs, you might find yourself staying within the LR environment far more than within CS6. It's a very productive application for photography.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 28-Mar-12 01:25 AM
14723 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lightroom vs. NX2 with Creative Suite 6"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Personally, I would go for the LR4 and CS6 combo. It's a very effective and powerful combo. I've used the combination of LR and Photoshop for years, and I remain pleased with it. The enhancements you'll get from LR4 and CS6 when used in tandem should be significant.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 28-Mar-12 05:09 PM
6086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightroom vs. NX2 with Creative Suite 6"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I'm one of those Luddites that still thinks Capture NX2 gives you the best opportunity to work with your NEFs.

You get the best initial rendering of your image, based on your camera settings, you get the ability to adjust your camera settings in post processing, and you get correction controls designed for Nikon equipment. U-Point technology is built in and the ability to globallly or selective edit the image allows for a lot of creativity and flexibility.

With the recent spate of Lightroom compatable "plug-ins" most of these have become able to operate as standalone apps, allowing you to apply them to CNX generated TIFs or JPGs. In Nik's case, the Lightroom/aperture plug-ins are less expensive than the PS compatible versions.

I prefer embedding most of the edits in a nondistructive manner in the NEF with no sidecar files. I save specific JPGs for non-NEF edits.

I use CNX with Photo Mechanic. The pair work great together as an editing-file management combo. The combined cost of the 2 is far less than LR/PS.

The question of whether an Adobe centric workflow or a NEF centric workflow is better is largely one of personal style and taste. It's sure been debated here enough. But, since you asked for opinions, I thought I'd throw mine into the ring.

In the end, it's the results that matter, not the process of getting there.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 28-Mar-12 07:35 PM
11743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightroom vs. NX2 with Creative Suite 6"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

The leanings of my current workflow have me working in Photoshop CS5 Extended with the occasional use of Lightroom 3. I also use X-Rite ColorChecker Passport when shooting people (accurate skin tones) or in natural locations where there are a lot of highly saturated elements like flowers and/or where there are many different shades of green. I am very pleased with results I get. The same goes for when I use it indoors. Using my own generated camera profiles really cuts down my processing time in ACR. I have noticed also that when using CC Passport picking a white point (WB) in ACR is not usually necessary, the profile provides a very good starting point that rarely needs tweaking. This is during daylight times and not necessarily at sunrise/sunset mind you, or when I feel a creative twist is needed.

I have already upgraded to LR 4 and I will be upgrading to PS CS6 as soon as it is available.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66465 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.