Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66462
View in linear mode

Subject: "Regarding image processing support for Ubuntu/Linux" Previous topic | Next topic
saddy1982 Registered since 03rd Nov 2011Tue 27-Mar-12 08:46 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Regarding image processing support for Ubuntu/Linux"

IN

Dear Nikonians

Greetings ! I am using Windows 7 for my image processing workflow which consists of View NX2, Lightroom 3 and then if any touching is required I use Photoshop CS3.
But nowadays I am facing a problem that my Lappy's performance has slowed down considerably. So, I wonder if I switch over to Ubuntu/Linux then what softwares should I use to maintain the similar type of workflow for image processing.

I welcome any type suggestion which might include how to improve on the performance of my Lappy with Windows 7 OS without switching over to linux/ubuntu.

Thans for reading
Saurabh

A Nikonian in need has many friends indeed !!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mquarles Registered since 29th Dec 2006Fri 30-Mar-12 02:33 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Regarding image processing support for Ubuntu/Linux"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just as a couple of starting thoughts, you might want to take a look at Corel AfterShot Pro (used to be Bibble) as well as Gimp. You can try both of them under Windows, and they both run natively under Linux as well.

berbmit Registered since 10th Jan 2012Tue 03-Apr-12 11:59 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Regarding image processing support for Ubuntu/Linux"
In response to Reply # 0

ZA

Darktable! Love it for RAW processing, and its sophistication and features development are well supported.

For photo-manipulation, Gimp is great ... especially the new 2.7 development version with single window mode -- it's the precursor to the new stable release of 2.8, but 2.7 already has most of the yet-to-be-released 2.8 feature set.

Where Linux falls down is the sophistication of push-button auto-processing features.

I ran Adobe Lightroom alongside Darktable for a month ... ended up going with Darktable.

saddy1982 Registered since 03rd Nov 2011Tue 03-Apr-12 03:08 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Regarding image processing support for Ubuntu/Linux"
In response to Reply # 2

IN

Thank you Mark and Bruce for your valuable suggestions. I ll keep that in mind !!

Saurabh

saddy1982 Registered since 03rd Nov 2011Sat 07-Apr-12 08:01 PM
#4. "RE: Regarding image processing support for Ubuntu/Linux"
In response to Reply # 3

IN

Hi all I have switched over to Ubuntu 11.04 and loving it despite of the fact that i am missing the user friendly environment and so used to attitude towards Lightroom3 and other softwares !! I hope to get used to Darkroom, GIMP and other photo as well as office document editing softwares on Ubuntu as soon as possible ..!! Thank you all !!

Sauarabh

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66462 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.