Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66453
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 23-Mar-12 08:27 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"

Traverse City, US

I could use some suggestions on what to upgrade to for post production software...I've worked with several versions of Photoshop Elements over the years. I'm wondering if there are any advantages to buying the newest version of Lightroom or some other program for post work. Time to kick it up a notch but I'm not familiar with any of the other software products other than what I've read here on some of the forums. Any advantages to those programs?

thanks in advance for input

Peter

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements
JonK Moderator
23rd Mar 2012
psf914
24th Mar 2012
pdekman Gold Member
24th Mar 2012
psf914
24th Mar 2012
pdekman Gold Member
24th Mar 2012
michalaase Gold Member
25th Mar 2012
psf914
26th Mar 2012

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 23-Mar-12 10:35 PM
4455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I strongly recommend Lightroom. It does it all: image organization, sorting/editing, key wording/ranking, developing, and output. You can probably do 95% or more of your photo needs inside Lightroom — and you still have your current version of Elements for the other 5% of image repair.

Lightroom is available as a 30-day trial.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 24-Mar-12 01:08 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Jon

I'm looking for something to add more options and hopefully a better product once I'm done. I want to get more into digital post work and expand my education on that end and abilities.

Peter

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 24-Mar-12 12:18 AM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

Peter -

Will you be switching to RAW processing with this change as well or are you using ACR now? Just want to understand how big of a change you're looking for.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sat 24-Mar-12 01:13 AM
#4. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Hey Paul

I've got a D800E on order and I plan to begin shooting raw in a few months once I get a little more education on the process and converting RAW to TIFF or JPEG. The company I work for has seen some of my photography and flew out to California to meet with me this week about doing some work for them in conjunction with my current position. The head photographer wants me to start shooting RAW files and getting more into work flow stuff...so I've got a great opportunity here to expand my horizons and learn a lot more about post work. That's why I want to get into a better software program as long as it can add some quality to my final product.

Peter

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 24-Mar-12 02:38 AM
1032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"
In response to Reply # 4

Swisher, US

Sounds exciting - congrats on the recognition.

I think your first choice to make is Nikon vs. non-Nikon workflow. Capture NX2 will post-process your images using all your in-camera settings and maintain familiar terminology regarding picture controls. It will edit the NEF file directly and will probably 'feel' like a familiar paradigm to TIFF/JPG editing. As an image editor, a number of people pair it with Photo Mechanic to help with image browsing, etc.

I've used Lightroom since its inception and love the workflow efficiency. As Jon mentioned, LR is a full-featured environment that includes data management, editing, publishing features and a killer print facility. Switching to LR will also bring a fair amount of change, so prepare to spend some time with it.

Both programs offer top-notch image quality. The differences are in workflow and features - and these can be substantial. You've got an interesting journey ahead of you. Find some online tutorials and reviews to help you decide.

Good luck!

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

michalaase Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Sun 25-Mar-12 11:44 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Mar-12 11:45 AM by michalaase

Karasjok, NO

I purchased Lightroom 4 a couple of weeks ago (actually the day it was released). Before that I was using Aperture for about a year. I also have and use Photoshop both private and at work.

I LOVE Lighroom 4!, and if your workflow is RAW I guess You'll love it to.
It's intuitive, easy to learn, and the tools are outstanding!

After going over til LR4 I usually don't have any reason to use my «tons of plugins» anymore - as I can do most all i LR !.
- the rest (for example removing hair from peoples face etc.) I do in Photoshop 'cause I love PS's Healing Brush and Patch tool (haven't found anything like it in LR4 - yet).

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 26-Mar-12 01:33 PM
#7. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements"
In response to Reply # 6

Traverse City, US

Thanks for the input Michal

I'm looking at Lightroom along with the others. I know Elements and would like to find something similar that I don't have to spend weeks figuring out. So I'll do my research and call friends to see what they're working with and what they think.

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66453 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.