I could use some suggestions on what to upgrade to for post production software...I've worked with several versions of Photoshop Elements over the years. I'm wondering if there are any advantages to buying the newest version of Lightroom or some other program for post work. Time to kick it up a notch but I'm not familiar with any of the other software products other than what I've read here on some of the forums. Any advantages to those programs?
#1. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements" In response to Reply # 0
New York, US
I strongly recommend Lightroom. It does it all: image organization, sorting/editing, key wording/ranking, developing, and output. You can probably do 95% or more of your photo needs inside Lightroom — and you still have your current version of Elements for the other 5% of image repair.
#4. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements" In response to Reply # 2
Traverse City, US
I've got a D800E on order and I plan to begin shooting raw in a few months once I get a little more education on the process and converting RAW to TIFF or JPEG. The company I work for has seen some of my photography and flew out to California to meet with me this week about doing some work for them in conjunction with my current position. The head photographer wants me to start shooting RAW files and getting more into work flow stuff...so I've got a great opportunity here to expand my horizons and learn a lot more about post work. That's why I want to get into a better software program as long as it can add some quality to my final product.
#5. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements" In response to Reply # 4
Sounds exciting - congrats on the recognition.
I think your first choice to make is Nikon vs. non-Nikon workflow. Capture NX2 will post-process your images using all your in-camera settings and maintain familiar terminology regarding picture controls. It will edit the NEF file directly and will probably 'feel' like a familiar paradigm to TIFF/JPG editing. As an image editor, a number of people pair it with Photo Mechanic to help with image browsing, etc.
I've used Lightroom since its inception and love the workflow efficiency. As Jon mentioned, LR is a full-featured environment that includes data management, editing, publishing features and a killer print facility. Switching to LR will also bring a fair amount of change, so prepare to spend some time with it.
Both programs offer top-notch image quality. The differences are in workflow and features - and these can be substantial. You've got an interesting journey ahead of you. Find some online tutorials and reviews to help you decide.
#6. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements" In response to Reply # 0 Sun 25-Mar-12 12:45 PM by michalaase
I purchased Lightroom 4 a couple of weeks ago (actually the day it was released). Before that I was using Aperture for about a year. I also have and use Photoshop both private and at work.
I LOVE Lighroom 4!, and if your workflow is RAW I guess You'll love it to. It's intuitive, easy to learn, and the tools are outstanding!
After going over til LR4 I usually don't have any reason to use my «tons of plugins» anymore - as I can do most all i LR !. - the rest (for example removing hair from peoples face etc.) I do in Photoshop 'cause I love PS's Healing Brush and Patch tool (haven't found anything like it in LR4 - yet).
#7. "RE: Lightroom vs Photoshop Elements" In response to Reply # 6
Traverse City, US
Thanks for the input Michal
I'm looking at Lightroom along with the others. I know Elements and would like to find something similar that I don't have to spend weeks figuring out. So I'll do my research and call friends to see what they're working with and what they think.