Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66439
View in linear mode

Subject: "Aperture vs. Lightroom" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Fri 09-Mar-12 06:28 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Aperture vs. Lightroom"

San Francisco, US

I've been using Aperture for over a year and like the basics. However, I recently tried the beta version of Lightroom 4. I've been comparing the RAW conversion that I get in Lightroom 4 beta, Aperture, and NX 2. It looks to me like Lightroom 4 beta produces an image that is more similar to the RAW conversion in NX 2, which I like. I don't have a lot of pre-sets in my D7000 that are applied to the NEF and imaged in NX 2. I DO understand this distinction. I wondered if others have made this comparison and observed similar results. (I also realize that this may not be a totally fair comparison, but, the advantage to either Lightroom or Aperture is a faster work flow than using NX 2. I still like NX 2 a lot and wish it were better supported.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Tue 13-Mar-12 10:43 PM
1033 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Aperture vs. Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 0

Swisher, US

At this point in raw conversion, I think the choices pretty much come down to personal preference and workflow desires vs. image quality. Good practitioners will get good results with any of these packages. Take the time to really learn the software and fine-tune your default settings to match your preferred rendering.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Tue 27-Mar-12 03:51 AM
6546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Aperture vs. Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 1

US

^^^

Thats about the best advice I have herd in a long time!

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Papa Smurf Registered since 16th Dec 2010Tue 27-Mar-12 01:42 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Aperture vs. Lightroom"
In response to Reply # 2

Adair, US

>^^^
>
>Thats about the best advice I have herd in a long time!

Ditto on that comment, everyone has an opinion about this or that, but the one true piece of advice that works every time is: "Choose what works for you and then become an expert in how to wring the most out of its tool set."

Papa Smurf says that life is uncertain, eat dessert first!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66439 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.