Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66417
View in linear mode

Subject: "Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask" Previous topic | Next topic
DavidSalahi Registered since 21st Sep 2011Tue 28-Feb-12 02:44 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask"

US

Just posted an in-depth video review of Perfect Mask 5, one of the apps in onOne Software's Perfect Photo Suite 6:
http://photoperformance.org/masking-and-selection-with-onone-softwares-perfect-mask/

David Salahi
The Photo Performance
http://photoperformance.org

Photo Blog: http://images.salahi.net/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask
KenLPhotos Gold Member
29th Feb 2012
DavidSalahi
29th Feb 2012
KenLPhotos Gold Member
29th Feb 2012
adangus Silver Member
01st Mar 2012
gaperklake Silver Member
02nd Mar 2012

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Wed 29-Feb-12 02:23 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

Do we have to sign up to see it?

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

DavidSalahi Registered since 21st Sep 2011Wed 29-Feb-12 03:39 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 29-Feb-12 03:40 PM by DavidSalahi

US

>Do we have to sign up to see it?

No, KenL, anyone can view it. No sign-up is necessary.When you click the link you should be taken directly to the page with the review:
http://photoperformance.org/masking-and-selection-with-onone-softwares-perfect-mask/

When you get there you should see a video player with a photo of orchids below the introductory text. Just click the player to start viewing.

Please let me know if you have problems seeing it or playing it.

The review is also posted on YouTube (in two parts because of length restrictions) :

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBENTIDXbI&context=C3093504ADOEgsToPDskJLGati6YYXeNbnJLy8IlCS

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-Ji0m-6jY&context=C3093504ADOEgsToPDskJLGati6YYXeNbnJLy8IlCS

David Salahi

Photo Blog: http://images.salahi.net/

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Wed 29-Feb-12 05:04 PM
1418 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 29-Feb-12 05:05 PM by KenLPhotos

Stewartstown, US

The first link has a blank white area for the video but the youtube links work. Thanks.

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

adangus Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2009Thu 01-Mar-12 02:35 PM
583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask"
In response to Reply # 0

Franktown, US

Thanks for going through that. I have a similar impression of the latest update. Mask Pro was the first onOne product that I purchased and this latest update seems to have scr***d the pooch. For years, Mask Pro was my go-to product for complex masking; but this update has nothing on the built-in masking functions of Photoshop CS5 and 5.1. The critical function that they seem to have set aside was just the ability to mark the borders between the keep and drop areas with a brush or pen tool. Then you could go into the DMZ and use the keep and drop eyedroppers to use color selections and the magic brush to make your selections in some locale. You could then delete all those colors, move to a different area, select new more appropriate colors, and proceed in this way until done.

Now, there's no more static selection. No more ability to zoom in as necessary and improve the definition of a complex border. And the tools keep making the same mistakes over and over. There's no learning. It doesn't matter how many times you tell "Perfect Mask" that you want to keep some area or drop some area. It will drop your keep and keep your drop on its own whim.

The refine edge, refine mask, smart radius tools in CS5 are far better. Like the earlier versions of Mask Pro, you can exactly define the radius (DMZ) between what you want to keep and what you want to drop. Why the folks at onOne thought that they were smarter than their user's eyes and intent, I cannot figure out.

You gave a great example in your video: the orchid. One user might just want to extract the flowers. Another might want the flowers and the stem. By allowing each user to define and fix their initial keep and drop regions as desired, Mask Pro would let each proceed just to work on the borders. But Perfect Mask doesn't know or care about those two different design intents. It will work the same way with either model, and messes up each one over and over again.

I frankly don't get it and I've stopped using this. Maybe someone with onOne wants to either explain what we're missing or put the keep and drop brushes from Mask Pro back into Perfect Mask. The PPA magazine recently reviewed Perfect Mask and a few other similar tools; and they gave Perfect Mask good marks. I have to believe that all the excellent results that onOne shows in their product literature were actually completed with some other tool.

Bah humbug.

gaperklake Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2007Fri 02-Mar-12 06:53 PM
307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Video Review of onOne Software's Perfect Mask"
In response to Reply # 4

Reno, US

Hello Dave,

Thank you so much for the video... and all the work that went into it! Very well done.

I've not had much luck with three versions of Perfect Mask (I own the suite), and version 6.0.2 doesn't work well at all on my Lion OS Mac. Great to have this confirmation.

My best,

Guy

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66417 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.