nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #66409
View in linear mode

Subject: "RAW Developer (1.9.4)" Previous topic | Next topic
chroaz Gold Member  Cave Creek, US  Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009 Sat 25-Feb-12 07:15 PM
695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RAW Developer (1.9.4)"

Does anyone have any experience with RAW Developer - a raw converter designed especially for the Mac.

It has some quite interesting sharpening tools, one of which uses the R-L Deconvolution method (and no, I dont really know what that means!), which was apparently originally developed for correcting images from the Hubble telescope. I have read that it is particularly suitable for removing the effects of an AA filter in a DSLR.

As I have ordered a D800, and not the "e" version, I was wondering if this might be a route to take to "claim back" some of the sharpness "lost" by the blurring effect of an AA filter?

Assuming of course that RAW Developer will eventually support the D800.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

www.throughmeyelens.com

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4) nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Feb 2012
Reply message RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4) jsfoster
26th Feb 2012
Reply message RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4) chroaz Gold Member
26th Feb 2012
Reply message RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4) pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
26th Feb 2012
     Reply message RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4) chroaz Gold Member
26th Feb 2012
Reply message RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4) pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
26th Feb 2012
     Reply message RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4) jsfoster
26th Feb 2012

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   San Diego, US  Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007 Sun 26-Feb-12 03:04 PM
449 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4)"
In response to Reply # 0

I doubt there will be an issue . Images from D800E and D800 are very similar in sharpness and resolution ( that I have seen ) at even 400 - 700 % . Current
Sharpening software can handle most blur or axis related sharpening .
I'm not losing sleep .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

jsfoster   US  Registered since 19th Apr 2011 Sun 26-Feb-12 03:43 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4)"
In response to Reply # 0

NO experience with RAW developer. But, the (1st?) Hubble mirror was shaped from a design which was dimensioned in metric, but fabricated in Imperial, (what ever we're in english unit- even England doesn't use them any more). They discovered the error early on after it was in orbit. - a big upload error- A time for a software solution to a hardware problem. Hence R_L 'Deconvolution'...

Also I have had a D7000 for 15 months. Same MP/sqin as D800. Similar issues (and a great camera), with lightroom (&cameraraw) detail sharpening is excellent. This will be better with the D800 as the AA filter is much more sophisticated, and LR4 will be out. Hitting the 'problem' from 2 sides...
best, jf

chroaz Gold Member  Cave Creek, US  Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009 Sun 26-Feb-12 04:07 PM
695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4)"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks - actually I've never consciously had sharpening issues either in Lightroom or CNX2, it was just I had never heard about this Richarsdon-Lucy (R-L) iterative algorithm before before and wondered if it was worth changing RAW converters for - or perthaps using for some specific reasons.

I still don't quite know what is does differently! Can anybody enighten me? !

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.   Swisher, US  Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005 Sun 26-Feb-12 05:16 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4)"
In response to Reply # 3

In general, a deconvolution algorithm attempts to reverse the effects of blurring when there is some knowledge of what is causing the blur. In the Hubble example, the polishing error was well-characterized, so by multiplying the image function by the inverse of the known blurring function, one hopes to gain back the original image. (This was done in software with some success before correcting optics were installed in a later mission).

The challenge with deconvolution algorithms is finding a reasonable representation of the blur function and the risk of introducing other effects such as halos, etc. while performing the math.

For what it's worth, Lightroom uses deconvolution when the Details slider is pushed to it's higher limits.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

chroaz Gold Member  Cave Creek, US  Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009 Sun 26-Feb-12 05:25 PM
#6. "RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4)"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks, Paul - a bit clearer now .. I think

I've downloaded a demo of RAW Developer and will compare it (especially in the sharpening department) with Lightroom 3 (and 4 beta).

Chris

- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.   Swisher, US  Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005 Sun 26-Feb-12 05:03 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4)"
In response to Reply # 2

No biggie, but the Hubble mirror construction error was due to a faulty measuring device being used and was not related to unit conversion. However, one of the NASA Mars explorers was lost due in part to a metric/imperial conversion mistake. In both cases, systems and management oversight played a bigger role in the problems going undetected and/or ignored.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

jsfoster   US  Registered since 19th Apr 2011 Sun 26-Feb-12 05:57 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: RAW Developer (1.9.4)"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks, My memory is a faulty as the measuring device, I guess..
Flawed, but a magnificent photo satellite.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #66409 Previous topic | Next topic