Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66302
View in linear mode

Subject: "RAW photos. " Previous topic | Next topic
SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Tue 10-Jan-12 05:32 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RAW photos. "

US

I took a bunch of photographs in raw mode and I can't figure out how to upload them onto my computer. I've tried googling how to do it but it's been no help so far.. Any suggestions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: RAW photos.
gkaiseril Gold Member
10th Jan 2012
SnapHappii
13th Jan 2012
SheriB Silver Member
13th Jan 2012
SnapHappii
13th Jan 2012
SheriB Silver Member
13th Jan 2012
SnapHappii
13th Jan 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator
14th Jan 2012
SnapHappii
16th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator
16th Jan 2012
SnapHappii
18th Jan 2012
SheriB Silver Member
18th Jan 2012
EelkoG78
13th Feb 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
13th Feb 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 10-Jan-12 05:39 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 10-Jan-12 05:47 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

What software do you have?

How do you transfer your Jpeg images?

You may have to set your system to display the extension name for your files. With Nikon cameras your RAW files will have a "NEF" extension or an "NRW" extension.

You can use a card reader and Windows Explorer on a Windows PC or Finder on a Macintosh to view the media card and the directories and files on that card. You can then copy and paste the selected folders of files to your computer system. The images will not be in the root or base directory. You need to open the DCIM folder and then there should be one or more subfolders within this folder that have your images within them.

Programs like Nikon View NX 2 have a transfer function that can copy the images from your camera or a card reader.

Your next issue will be whether you software can process the NEF images from your camera. Each camera's RAW image has a unique value to identify the camera model. You software will need to be updated to a level that will accept this camera model.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 01:10 PM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 1

US

I upload my photos using a usb cord. I don't know about the other questions though.. I'm quite confused.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 13-Jan-12 04:11 PM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 13-Jan-12 04:14 PM by SheriB

US

It would help if you filled in the basics of your profile at least under "equipment"..I am on a PC ..so if you are on a Mac I may be wasting my time here.. but lets start with this..

When you would upload jpegs using the usb..where did your jpegs go and how did you look at them? Do you just open them using the in computer image viewer? ( as in you just clicked on the photo and it opened up) or did you use, say, the free ViewNX program that probably came with your Nikon camera? Or do you have a program like Lightroom, Photoshop etc?
You can still use the usb, uploading raw files should be done exactly the same if you are using the free nikon software.

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 06:28 PM
#4. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 3

US

I just updated it. I use windows. And when I upload pictures I use the default photo uploader.

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Fri 13-Jan-12 06:43 PM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 13-Jan-12 06:45 PM by SheriB

US

Ok so lets start over.I do not use GIMP so someone else will have to chime in here. Your original post just asks how you get the raw files from the camera to the computer, and says you have researched it,but have not yet said what steps you HAVE tried.
Try to spell it out for us step by step so we can help you

-You hook you camera up to the comp with a USB and turn the camera on
( everyone is going to tell you to get a card reader. I used my USB for the first year with no problems.)

- what pops up on your computer screen? and then...

-what do you do?

- does it seem like the raw files are loading but you then cannot FIND them OR you can find them but not VIEW them?

- Or does it not even download from your camera.

We want to help you but we need a little more detail

Sheri Becker

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Fri 13-Jan-12 08:04 PM
#6. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 5

US

Alright, Like last time, when I plugged in the USB cord and turned my camera on, the only photos that I was able to view were the two that were taken in JPEG. I was not able to see the other 80 some photos. It said it only downloaded those 2 photos, and I'm not able to find them.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 13-Jan-12 09:23 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

I suggest you try a card reader, do not use any auto action but use Windows Explorer and copy and paste your images from the media card to the "My Pictures" folder in your "My Documents" folder.

If you are using Nikon View NX 2 you need to set the program to show both Jpeg and Nef.

Nikon RAW images have the NEF file type and are not one of the standard picture files by Windows files. The 'RAW' is a generic term that covers an image file that consist of the recorded sensor values along with the camera's settings stored in tags defined by each manufacturer and those tags have value ranges assigned by the manufacturer and are not standard between camera models for a given manufacturer and certainly not the same between manufacturers. There are certain data subsets within the image file that are standard and they are the standard EXIF, XMP, ITPC, GPS meta data and a Jpeg preview image. There over 500 different RAW formats when one considers each manufacturer and camera model that can produce a RAW image. The closets standard RAW image is Adobe's DNG public file format.

Some more advanced photo editing programs like Nikon's software and Adobe's image editing software will recognize the NEF format and be able to open the file if the program is properly updated to support your camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 14-Jan-12 12:59 PM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

To be able to view NEF files in windows, you need to download and install the Nikon Codec from the Nikon website. HEre is a link.
http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

I find the best way to download photos is to use Nikon Transfer rather than Windows. It is specifically for the purpose of downloading images - and it's free. Nikon Transfer is embedded in Nikon View NX2 - which is available here.
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17607

Nikon View is your starting point for being able to edit NEF files. It is a pretty good basic editor and allows you to convert RAW files to JPEG after editing.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Mon 16-Jan-12 07:03 AM
#9. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 16-Jan-12 07:25 AM by SnapHappii

US

I downloaded Nikon Transfer. I just uploaded my photos to it. They're still in RAW format. If I want to edit them with GIMP do I need to change the format to NEF now or after I'm down editing?

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 16-Jan-12 11:32 AM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

A bit of terminology here to be sure you are using the right software.

You need to download View NX2 - not Nikon Transfer. Nikon Transfer on the website is a legacy program that is no longer maintained. There is a program called Nikon Transfer 2 that is embedded in View NX2. You must download View NX2. Once you download View NX2, you can set Nikon Transfer to be the program that is activated when you commect a camerea or card reader.

RAW files are called NEF files in the Nikon system. You will never see a file called RAW - that is a generic term but the Nikon RAW files are actually NEF.

If you are just starting, why are you using GIMP. Is that your normal editor? If so, that's fine but I would explore using View NX2 - also free - as an editor for NEF files. There are alternatives, but View is a Nikon product and provides some ability to manipulate NEF files that may not exist in other programs.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

SnapHappii Registered since 10th Dec 2011Wed 18-Jan-12 03:58 AM
#11. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 10

US

I did download the View NX2. I should have said that in my previous post, whoops. But I'm not familiar with it at all so GIMP would be easiest for me. Is there anyway to keep the photos in NEF and edit them in gimp?

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 18-Jan-12 10:25 AM
#12. "RE: RAW photos. "
In response to Reply # 11

US

take time to look at ViewNX. It is pretty simple and self explanatory. I had almost NO experience with any kind of post processing ( I had MS Picture it..that's it) and just started playing with the sliders and stuff in ViewNX when I got my camera. Some of the Picture controls can make simple editing very easy and also let you see how an image would look if you used them in cmaera ( Vivid, Landscape, Standard , Neutral)Try it for awhile!

Sheri Becker

EelkoG78 Registered since 23rd Oct 2011Mon 13-Feb-12 03:57 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: RAW photos. "

Teuge, NL

If you want to work with NEF files in GIMP you can download UFRaw from here

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 13-Feb-12 02:05 PM
#14. "RE: RAW photos. "
Mon 13-Feb-12 02:06 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You can load the image into GIMP and process the NEF file in memory, but you will have to save the image in one of the Non-RAW formats, that is, Jpeg, Tiff, Png, etc.

If you want to edit and save as a NEF then you need to buy Nikon Capture NX2.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66302 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.