nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66300
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog" Previous topic | Next topic
vchelf Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2009Sat 07-Jan-12 08:40 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"

Houston, US

The CameraBits.com web site says Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog will be released in early 2012. It's not out yet. I was wondering if anyone knows of an official release date?

Best regards,

Victor Chelf (vchelf)
Houston, TX

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Jan 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
16th Jan 2012
leebaylin Silver Member
19th Jan 2012
Roy Kaye Silver Member
21st Apr 2012
pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
21st Apr 2012
Roy Kaye Silver Member
22nd Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
22nd Apr 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Apr 2012
pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows.
22nd Apr 2012
cpopescu Silver Member
25th Nov 2013
25th Nov 2013
TiggerGTO Silver Member
10th May 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 07-Jan-12 09:32 PM
6227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

No, they are being pretty coy about it. I gather that "early" means anytime in the 1st quarter. It sound like they are working feverishly on it.

I think it is worth waiting for, though.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 16-Jan-12 01:14 PM
8905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

The catalog is a big deal. They've been working on it for a long time.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberThu 19-Jan-12 03:42 AM
826 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 2

Baltimore, US

I saw a demo of the catalogue in New York last fall. It looks retty sweet.

Lee Baylin

Roy Kaye Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2010Sat 21-Apr-12 09:02 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 3

Southampton, UK

I have been waiting for the new imac (?), and Lightroom to be safe to buy (adobe forum thinks it will be soon after many problems), and now photo mechanic, which seems good

My query is whether I need PM with Lightroom. It's just that I like control over a folder tree of photos, like with Nikon Transfer/View NX/NX2 workflow. I keep reading that photos are sort of taken over by Lightroom, and also Aperture.

I know it's another step in the workflow, but maybe will actually save time. Could I just keep everything in PM, and use open with to work in Lightroom, still using NEF or DNG? would file come back to PM still as Raw file, or TIFF? And if say I decided to change in the future to another program, like Aperture, would this make it easier to move photos?

Thanks for your help

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sat 21-Apr-12 10:03 PM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 21-Apr-12 10:06 PM by pdekman

Swisher, US

Lightroom's catalog is pretty much at the core of the workflow integration - and you need to import images to have them recognized - so I don't see how external software would help.

You still maintain control over where you want your photos with LR, put them in any drive/folder/filenaming sequence you wish. LR's import function simply references where the photos reside, they are not physically transferred to the LR database. The import function does facilitate some date-based organization if you wish, but you're free to choose other schemes. Of course, moving files outside of LR will break the reference link but even that is easily recovered.

I'm running LR4.1 Release Candidate and find it stable - give it a try via free download.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

Roy Kaye Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2010Sun 22-Apr-12 12:37 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 5

Southampton, UK

Thanks for that. Saves me some time & money too, Roy

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 22-Apr-12 12:20 PM
8905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 4

Atlanta, US

I can't see using more than one cataloging program. I think you need to commit ot a workflow that is either DNG based or NEF based and the answers become clearer.

Photo Mechanic at its core was developed for press photographers who need to download, name, caption, and keyword large numbers of images. Post processing is minimally included. With PM you can freely edit images with other tools and still use PM since it maintains the integrity of the original file. I can't speak to DNG specifically but it works very well with NEFs. PM is subsequently adding a cataloging feature in the upcoming release.
Lightroom came about as a cataloging program to organize files - especially different versions of related files. Having multiple versions of related files is common in a workflow that has RAW, DNG, TIFF, and PSD files for the same image. A catalog supports organizing and finding those files regardless of your folder structure. Lightroom has subsequently become a pretty good editor that allows the use of plugins designed for Photoshop.
Aperture is similar to Lightroom in that it is both a cataloging program and an editor.
If you only have one file - a NEF - which contains your versions, you probably don't need a catalog. But you may find other features of the programs or even a catalog are useful. For example, for HDR a catalog can make it easier to group images created at the same time. You may want a program for ingesting, keywords and captions.
If you use Lightroom, the main value of PM is for workflow - downloading and adding keywords and captions. For most people there is little need for both Lightroom and PM.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 22-Apr-12 02:26 PM
6227 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

Eric is right that if you want to keep a NEF-centeric workflow using PM is a better choice than LR.

Until the PM Catalog version is finally released, it's hard to tell if it will be a better or worse cataloging program that LR. If Camera Bits lives up to their performance with PM, I would expect it to be an improvement over LR, but it is new , so who knows.

It hasn't been released yet, and it a few weeks overdue. IF you don't need cataloging, the current version of PM is a fast, extremely capable browser and image management application.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

pdekman Gold Member Winner in The Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Awarded as a regular contributor who offers in-depth knowledge to members who are interested in building efficient work flows. Nikonian since 17th Nov 2005Sun 22-Apr-12 04:26 PM
1035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 8

Swisher, US

I don't see the choice as NEF-centric or DNG-centric, but application-centric. That's where the largest differences and personal workflow choices lie. For instance, I use the Lightroom environment and still keep all my master images as NEF.

Paul
My Nikonians Gallery

cpopescu Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Apr 2011Mon 25-Nov-13 11:00 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 6

Paris, RO

Eric,

Could you please explain (or refer me to a site where this is explained) why PM is better for workflow than LR? Isn't is true that all the things that are done with PM can be done with LR as well?

I was reading Mike Hagen's book "Thousands of images - what next?" trying to figure out a good way to arrange and catalogue my photos. I was planning to use Lightroom only, but Mike speaks a bit about Photo Mechanic as well.
For an amateur, should I better stick to LR only? (I intend to organize and tag photos for family use).

I did not start to do anything, because I think that's best to understand and prepare very well the workflow before using it.

Thank you,

Catalin

>If you use Lightroom, the main value of PM is for workflow -
>downloading and adding keywords and captions. For most people
>there is little need for both Lightroom and PM.
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team
>My Gallery
>Workshops
>
>Nikonians membership — my most important photographic
>investment, after the camera
>
>

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 25-Nov-13 04:33 PM
#12. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 11

Atlanta, US

The short answer is that most people that use Lightroom don't need Photo Mechanic.

Many programs support keywording - the big advantage of Photo Mechanic is speed, and the ability to build and use keyword libraries. Photo Mechanic was designed specifically to help with keywording, captions, and descriptions - and any other metadata that is added in post processing.

My typical workflow applies basic keywords, captions and descriptions applied to all images during ingest. But if I want to be image specific, I need to go back and replace or update captions, descriptions and keywords. For example, I might initially keyword football images as UGA vs. Kentucky, but then I want to go back and caption the specific plays, offense,/defense, scoring, penalties, players, and any other description needed. I do this when I rate images so all images have keywords. And I might further revise individual selects with even more accurate descriptors or keywords. PM also permits the use of wildcards, so I can add other specific data on an automated basis. Finally keywords can be appended or added rather than replaced, so you could easily go through and pick every image a certain player was in and apply keywords, then choose another image and add his keywords, and another, etc.

Lightroom handles NEF files, and does handle keywords, captions, and descriptions. The metadata fields are standardized across most applications. I'm not familiar with LR keyword libraries, the ability to add keywords vs. replacing keywords, etc.

Photo Mechanic is also very fast in rendering JPEG's - especially small to medium JPEG's for use on the web or in the news.

I think if you have LR, you probably don't need PM unless you have a specific workflow or subject matter that requires specific tools. If so, you can use PM in conjunction with LR but the setup and preferences are a little different.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops - Spring in the Smokies

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Thu 10-May-12 06:24 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Photo Mechanic 5 and Photo Mechanic Catalog"
In response to Reply # 0

Apex, US

CameraBits just posted an update about PM 5. They are separating the cataloging feature and releasing PM5 sooner. The cataloging is going to be a full-blown multiuser solution which probably explains why it is taking them so long to get it out. There are some negative comments from some disappointed people on their forums. Personally, I'm glad they split out PM 5 for an imminent beta instead of making us all wait for the cataloging to be ready. I'm a bit disappointed too, but not to the point where I want to start throwing barbs at Kirk and company. I just hope that with all the anticipation that the cataloging kicks some serious butt when it is finally ready.

Here's the link to the announcement: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6973.new#new

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66300 Previous topic | Next topic