Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66295
View in linear mode

Subject: "d300s jpgs versus view nx jpgs" Previous topic | Next topic
mallegretti Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2010Thu 05-Jan-12 04:30 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d300s jpgs versus view nx jpgs"

ROBERTS CREEK, CA

If i shoot raw+jpg the camera will use the raw data and then apply the picture control file to produce the jpg. I can open the raw file at home using View nx and then save as a jpg.View Nx will use the same attached picture control file. Is there any difference between these two methods to produce jpgs. I can easily produce the jpgs at home and not have to shoot raw+jpg which uses up more space on memory cards.

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 05-Jan-12 11:02 AM
5905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d300s jpgs versus view nx jpgs"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

If you make no modifications to the image in View NX, the resulting JPG will be identical to what the camera would produce, for all practical purposes. The same would apply to Capture NX. It would not apply to ACR or other non-Nikon convertors.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Thu 05-Jan-12 02:35 PM
11562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d300s jpgs versus view nx jpgs"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 05-Jan-12 02:35 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

The Picture Control settings are not really in a separate file they are simply in the metadata of the NEF. Essentially you are right, whether you convert the NEF to jpg in a Nikon editing program or use the jpg from the camera they should be the same. The reason people shoot NEF+JPEG is either to have a safety net (the increased editing latitude in the NEF file) or because their targeted output requires a jpg straight out of the camera, or something similar.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

mallegretti Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2010Thu 05-Jan-12 04:18 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d300s jpgs versus view nx jpgs"
In response to Reply # 2

ROBERTS CREEK, CA

Thanks for the help. Most of the pictures that I have taken are of pots that my wife and I have produced. (see www.creekclayworks.ca) These are taken in raw and then tweeked in PS. In spring of 2010 we spent 6 weeks in Turkey and I shot Raw+jpg but most of the jpg's were so good straight out of the camera that I didn't in the end spend much time working with the raw files except a few. This coming spring we are off to Nepal for a 30 day trek to Dolpo and was wondering if one could stretch ones memory cards by shooting just raw and then at home just generate the jpgs using View NX and then decide which files one wants to use.

Mike

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 16-Jan-12 11:45 AM
8562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d300s jpgs versus view nx jpgs"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

<....was wondering if one could stretch ones memory cards by shooting just raw and then at home just generate the jpgs using View NX and then decide which files one wants to use.>

Mike

That's exactly what most of us are doing today. We simply shoot RAW and then produce JPEG's for the images needed.

For large volumes of images I use Nikon View for rating images and any preliminary edits. I use the "filter" function in view to quickly see selected files. My approach is to use the star rating for image quality and the color codes to identify my choice or best images ( this is important if you have 5-8 good images of a particular scene or item and you want to publish just one). If you need advanced editing, you can always use another product like Capture NX2.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66295 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.