nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66266
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can't view NEF files in Windows XP or Photoshop" Previous topic | Next topic
AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004Fri 02-Dec-11 01:30 AM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can't view NEF files in Windows XP or Photoshop"

Oro Valley, US

Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this question...

I had to re-format my hard drive, and lost all programs on it. I have reinstalled most programs, but for some reason I can't "see" my NEF files when viewing in Windows Fax and Picture viewer or Photoshop File Open menu. When I select "thumbnail" mode for viewing the file, I get an icon only. I have downloaded the Windows RAW image viewer to no avail. Previous to having to wipe out my hard drive, I could see the NEF files. I must be having a brain fart/senior moment about downloading some software, a patch or codec? Without having to go to ViewNX2 (which works fine) what do I need to do so I can see these files. (An answer of "get a Mac" does not help at this time.)

I'm trying to view NEF files from a D70, D200 and D300. I have Windows XP SP3 installed.

Thanks.

AZ Nikon

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can't view NEF files in Windows XP or Photoshop
gkaiseril Gold Member
02nd Dec 2011
AZ Nikon Silver Member
02nd Dec 2011
Reply message Update regarding not being able to see NEF files
AZ Nikon Silver Member
02nd Dec 2011
Reply message RE: Update regarding not being able to see NEF files
Netadmin
03rd Dec 2011
Reply message RE: Update regarding not being able to see NEF files
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Dec 2011
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
06th Jan 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 02-Dec-11 01:45 AM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can't view NEF files in Windows XP or Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

> for some reason I can't "see" my NEF files when viewing in Windows Fax and Picture viewer or Photoshop File Open menu.

You really never see the NEF with the OS file preview, only the embedded preview Jpeg image. You need to download and install the Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP Subscribe to get the OS to see the thumbnail preview images.

Make sure you update your ACR plug-in.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004Fri 02-Dec-11 04:59 AM
119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can't view NEF files in Windows XP or Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 1

Oro Valley, US

I've done both of what you described....but it doesn't help.

AZ Nikon

AZ Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2004Fri 02-Dec-11 09:39 PM
#3. "Update regarding not being able to see NEF files"
In response to Reply # 0

Oro Valley, US

So this is kinda weird. Here is what I discovered.

Ever since I upgraded the D300 camera firmware, I can no longer see Thumbnail images of NEF files. I can go back to my old NEF files, and see images both in the Windows File Viewer and in Photoshop File/Open using Thumbnail mode. However, ever since the firmware upgrade, I cannot see file images of my D300 NEF files in Windows or Photoshop.

So, I assumed that the camera firmware upgrade slightly tweaked the NEF format so that I can no longer see a Thumbnail image using the software listed above.

However, I also noticed that my newer NEF images taken with my D200 can no longer be viewed in Windows File Viewer or Photoshop File/Open dialogue window. I have not updated by D200 firmware in quite awhile.

I am using Windows XP SP 3, and I download my files by removing the CF card from the camera, placing it in a card reader, and then attacing the card reader to the computer via a USB port. I have been doing this successfully for over 4 years in the case of the D200, and over 2 years in the case of the D300. I am using the same card reader and same memory cards now as I have in the past. I get the same issue regardless of memory card used.

So any idea of what is happening here?

I can view all of the NEF files in Nikon ViewNX2

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

AZ Nikon

Netadmin Registered since 16th Apr 2011Sat 03-Dec-11 12:16 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Update regarding not being able to see NEF files"
In response to Reply # 3

Fenwick, CA

When I upgraded to a D7000 I could no longer see the images on Windows 7 until I got the relevant codec from Nikon.
Have you download the codec for the D300 from Nikon?
You might want to try this link http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 03-Dec-11 10:40 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Update regarding not being able to see NEF files"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

Did you check to verify that you updated both the A and B firmware to 1.10?

Strange thing happen you update the camera control firmware and do not update the image exposure and processing firmware.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 06-Jan-12 04:34 PM
8907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Can't view NEF files in Windows XP or Photoshop"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Try downloading the Nikon Codec from this site.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/61#Anchor-16

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66266 Previous topic | Next topic