Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66259
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noise reduction" Previous topic | Next topic
Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 30-Nov-11 05:50 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Noise reduction"

Joanna, US

I use ViewNX 2 and Capture NX2 and have read and re-read Jason Odell's guide to Capture NX2. I have pictures that have a high ISO with evident noise and I've been trying to learn the process of reducing noise.

It is my understanding that noise reduction should be completed prior to sharpening and that within the Noise Reduction step I should set the sharpness to 0. Moving the intensity slider from 0 to XX causes the image to blur with the blur becoming more pronounced with a higher intensity number. Should I stop increasing the intensity once the blur begins or continue? Also, within the Noise Reduction step am I to go back and adjust the Sharpness slider or leave it at 0 and open a new step to sharpen in Capture Sharpening?

One other question - would there be a need to sharpen a small area on a picture or would you just sharpen the whole picture? If you would sharpen a small area, if it's not too much detail to cover here, what would be the steps?

The book is good but sometimes it seems that it hits an area and then leaves me hanging. I would believe that with Jason's expertise it is self explanatory but this is new territory for me and it is somewhat of a struggle.

Thanks,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Noise reduction
danall Silver Member
17th Dec 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
18th Dec 2011
danall Silver Member
19th Dec 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
19th Dec 2011
ericbowles Moderator
21st Dec 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
21st Dec 2011
ericbowles Moderator
21st Dec 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
21st Dec 2011

danall Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Sat 17-Dec-11 02:14 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

>I use ViewNX 2 and Capture NX2 and have read and re-read
>Jason Odell's guide to Capture NX2. I have pictures that have
>a high ISO with evident noise and I've been trying to learn
>the process of reducing noise.
>

>One other question - would there be a need to sharpen a small
>area on a picture or would you just sharpen the whole picture?
> If you would sharpen a small area, if it's not too much
>detail to cover here, what would be the steps?
>
>John
Whether you sharpen the entire image or a portion depends upon the image and effect you are trying to create...it depends. Localized sharpening is very easy with CNX2 using the control point technology. Chose the selection control point (+), under select adjustment chose focus tab, then either high pass or USM your choice.

Daniel Schlender

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 18-Dec-11 01:48 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 1

Joanna, US

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing this information.

John

danall Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2009Mon 19-Dec-11 03:31 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 2

Springfield, US

John, just to elaborate a bit more on my generic answer above. I normally sharpen the entire image. Situations where you may only sharpen a portion would be for example where you have a fairly closeup of say a swan/heron whatever with a the surrounding water body. In that case you might sharpen to accent the feathers etc of the critter with a localized control point, but you wouldn't want to perhaps sharpen the water.
Also note that there is a subforum under here that is specific to Nikon imaging software...of which CNX and Viewnx is considered...thus you may get more answers (CNX2 related) to any future questions under that sub forum.

Daniel Schlender

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 19-Dec-11 05:36 PM
#4. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

Daniel,

Thanks for checking back and adding the additional information. Hope you have a safe and joyful Christmas.

John

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-Dec-11 11:12 AM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

You probably won't need noise reduction for all images. But you may need NR when you have medium or high ISO images, dark images, or sometimes even toned areas like sky or water.

Noise Reduction and Sharpening are essentially opposites. The more you sharpen the more noise can show up. Likewise when you increase intensity of noise reduction, your image becomes soft.

For those cases I generally start my editing without changing the Noise Reduction steps. But if I have a problem, I go back and adjust NR as Jason describes.

Increasingly I find that I am applying sharpening selectively. I can better control the sharpening and avoid noise if sharpening is only applied where I need it. Sometimes I increase contrast selectively to increase the appearance of sharpening. Sometimes I apply Gaussian Blur selectively to areas with noise or pixelation - like sky, smooth water, and possibly wooded backgrounds.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 21-Dec-11 05:10 PM
#6. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 5

Joanna, US

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. A few questions:
<may need NR - I did have a few pictures that were shot @ Auto IS0 1600 (forgot to change camera settings) that came out dark. I got them presentable but they had a lot of noise. To get the noise level down and following Jason's advice do I stop the intensity level % when it first begins to blur or continue until it becomes real blurry?

<applying sharpening selectively. So, to sharpen any particular small area would I place a "selection control point" (and decrease the area size with the slider) or a "lasso and Marquee tool" at that location and then click new step to bring up USM and proceed from there?

Thanks for your patience in trying to help me understand the process.

John

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 21-Dec-11 06:14 PM
8738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Hi John

At ISO 1600 you start to see some noise - especially if the image is slightly underexposed. Typically you want to avoid underexposing an image at high ISO levels. But given that you have the issue, you'll have to use a bit of trial and error to learn exactly where to draw the line on intensity. I normally slide it just to the point where it begins to blur. With higher noise you slide it further. But if you slide it to far, even after sharpening the image will look soft. Also be sure to use the "Better Quality" setting.

I almost always try to use the Selection Control tool next to the Lasso Tool. I use both plus and minus. In many situations I look at the selection using the Show Overlay in order to identify and fill in coverage. In some cases I also use the Paintbrush to "fill in" areas that are not completely shown. I find that it can be better to use 50% opacity and go over an area twice than to use 100%. And you may need to zoom to 100% or more for fine detail like feathers or fur.

You might experiment with High Pass vs. UnSharp Mask for sharpening. I usually use Unsharp Mask, but find that some images really pop with High Pass. In an image with noise, the right choice here can make a difference.

Finally - just as you sharpen your subject, you can apply a little Gaussian Blur - maybe 3-5 pixels - to noisy areas that are not critical to your image. You can vary Opacity to fine tune the effect.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 21-Dec-11 10:38 PM
#8. "RE: Noise reduction"
In response to Reply # 7

Joanna, US

Eric,

Thanks for an informative reply that I'll try on some of my shots. Having someone who has "been there, done that" and willing to share is always helpful. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable Christmas.

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66259 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.