nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Gamecocks

Joanna, US
986 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010
Wed 30-Nov-11 05:50 PM

I use ViewNX 2 and Capture NX2 and have read and re-read Jason Odell's guide to Capture NX2. I have pictures that have a high ISO with evident noise and I've been trying to learn the process of reducing noise.

It is my understanding that noise reduction should be completed prior to sharpening and that within the Noise Reduction step I should set the sharpness to 0. Moving the intensity slider from 0 to XX causes the image to blur with the blur becoming more pronounced with a higher intensity number. Should I stop increasing the intensity once the blur begins or continue? Also, within the Noise Reduction step am I to go back and adjust the Sharpness slider or leave it at 0 and open a new step to sharpen in Capture Sharpening?

One other question - would there be a need to sharpen a small area on a picture or would you just sharpen the whole picture? If you would sharpen a small area, if it's not too much detail to cover here, what would be the steps?

The book is good but sometimes it seems that it hits an area and then leaves me hanging. I would believe that with Jason's expertise it is self explanatory but this is new territory for me and it is somewhat of a struggle.

Thanks,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Noise reduction