New webinar coming up: Best of Nikonians annual review, 28-MAR-2024 4PM EST (for all members on Silver level and higher) >>> More info

X

Home Forums Articles Galleries Members Galleries Master Your Vision Galleries 5Contest Categories 5Winners Galleries 5ANPAT Galleries 5 The Winners Editor's Choice Portfolios Recent Photos Search Contest Info Help News Newsletter Join us Renew Membership About us Retrieve password Contact us Contests Vouchers Wiki Apps THE NIKONIAN™ For the press Fundraising Search Help!
More5

A Workflow question (again?)

Zevi Zevi

Is from: Ann Arbor, US
340 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Zevi Registered since 20th Feb 2008
Sun 27-Nov-11 09:29 PM
Greetings!

My apologies if this has been discussed and answered; my search led me to some results that were close, but no cigar...

As a new D700 owner, I am busy reading the manual and the Mastering The D700 Nikonians book. From this reading, I am quite impressed with the in-camera processing and image enhancement capabilities of the D700. However, one of the things that I learned from this forum as well as from using my old D80, is that if I don't use Nikon software -- all the in-camera processing is lost when I import my raw images into Lightroom. So I lived with that limitation, and I operated the D80 practically at factory settings, because "why bother?" It all gets lost during upload anyway, right? (again, that is when shooting and importing raw files).

However, now, I really feel that it will be a shame and a waste not to take advantage of the versatility and power of the in-camera processing power of the D700 with all its settings and "memory banks". Furthermore, I am told that using Active-D Lighting can totally mess up my images when I bring them into LR.

Since I also like to cook, I understand that sometimes you just have to break some eggs to make a good dish.... In other words, I realize that I may have to change my workflow. But how? My images are catalogued in LR, where I do processing as well as in CS5. I don't want to lose this, as I also use various plugins (Photomatix HDR, Noise Ninja, Topaz, etc.). I'd like to avoid having to learn how to use NX, not to mention the limited availability of plugins for this software.

Ideally, there will be some official plugin (or unofficial cheat-sheet like some spreadsheet with settings) for LR, so that all the in-camera settings and processing will be brought into LR and CS5. But we don't have that (or maybe we do?)

Alternatively, what can I do? Is there a way to use Nikon's software to read the raw files, apply the in-camera adjustments, and then save these in a (different?) raw format that retains those changes, and then I import these into LR? Or once I go through Nikon's software - am I now limited to jpg and tiff as far as followup processing in LR and/or CS5?

I don't want to lose the in-camera capabilities of the D700, but I also want to keep doing (most of) my cataloguing and PP in LR/CS5; and I want to retain highest image quality without losing it to compression in the process. Am I asking too much? What do you do: scrap all in-camera image settings? Not using LR (or using it with jpg/tiff only)?

Looking forward for your advice!
Zevi

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A Workflow question (again?)

G