nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66198
View in linear mode

Subject: "How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?" Previous topic | Next topic
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Mon 31-Oct-11 09:25 PM
3385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"

Washington, US

A client ordered a print size that does not work well with the image; he ordered a 5 x 15 and a 7 x 15 looks much better. However, MPIX labs, whom I use through Zenfolio, does not offer a 7 x 15. I contacted them and they will trim a print to 7 x 15. Good for them!

What I need to do place the image on a canvas in Adobe Photoshop to get the desired size. Then use the text tool in Photoshop and write in the white border "please trim print."

Then save this as a pdf file, and order the a 10 x 15 of that image. They will trim to 7 x 15.

Can someone direct me to the steps that I need to do for this?

Thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?
scenicshutterbug Silver Member
31st Oct 2011
bobpilot Silver Member
31st Oct 2011
31st Oct 2011
bobpilot Silver Member
31st Oct 2011
01st Nov 2011
bobpilot Silver Member
01st Nov 2011
01st Nov 2011
bobpilot Silver Member
01st Nov 2011
01st Nov 2011

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Mon 31-Oct-11 10:34 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 0

Beaufort County, US

If I understand you correctly, you want the canvas size to be 10x15 but the image to only fill a space 7x15? If this is the case, there are a couple of ways you could do this.

Open the image file, crop it to 7x15. Then go to the Edit>Canvas Size option and create a canvase size of 10x15. Position the image usng the dialog box in the center of the canvas. Make sure that the canvas color is white. Then you can open the text tool and add the text to the white edges of the canvas that now surrounds your image.

Hope this helps.

Karen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Mon 31-Oct-11 10:46 PM
3385 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 1

Washington, US

yes, that is what I need to do.

I used Lightroom to set an aspect ratio of 7x15, so when I import to PS I now need to give it a dimension, right? all right, I'll give this a try. I might be back for some help.

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Mon 31-Oct-11 11:26 PM
902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 2

Beaufort County, US

Glad to help.

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Mon 31-Oct-11 11:50 PM
#4. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 3

Washington, US

I got the canvas, but I can't add text. I need to learn PS.

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Tue 01-Nov-11 12:12 AM
#5. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 4

Beaufort County, US

Try selecting the text tool and then clicking on a spot on the canvas where you want to add the text. You should be able to type from there. If you need to resize the text, you can select what you have typed and then use the tools at the top of the toolbar to adjust the size, color, etc. (Make sure the text color is not the same color as the background of the canvas. You might be typing and just not be able to see it.)

Karen

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Tue 01-Nov-11 12:26 AM
#6. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 5

Washington, US

that was the problem.
Also the text seemed to go vertical, but the next time it was fine.

Thank you for your help. I use Lightroom, so I don't know PS

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Tue 01-Nov-11 12:30 AM
#7. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 6

Beaufort County, US

Glad to help. (There are several text tools, one of which does type vertically. If you right click on the text tool icon, you'll see the full list.)

Karen

bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007Tue 01-Nov-11 10:30 AM
#8. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 7

Washington, US

I will never learn PS, but I am learning to do certain things as I need them, thank you.

Here is the final image as sent to the print lab:

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Tue 01-Nov-11 12:22 PM
#9. "RE: How is an image placeed on canvas in PS?"
In response to Reply # 8

Beaufort County, US

Nice shot.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66198 Previous topic | Next topic