Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66174
View in linear mode

Subject: "Burning to a Disc...Win7" Previous topic | Next topic
beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Wed 19-Oct-11 11:20 AM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Burning to a Disc...Win7"

Concord, US

Part of my post processing sometimes includes moving photo files - RAW and JPEG - onto a disc for use elsewhere.

In the not too distant past, using my venerable but slow XP system and a music program that must have come with a standalone CD/DVD burner I picked up, I was able to quickly and easily burn photos to a DVD. I could add photos/photo files to a list, see how much space was available on the disc, then add/subtract as needed. I could set the number of disc copies to burn and could easily set a disc title.

I don't burn photo discs all that often - to share with family, move RAW files to a different computer for edit, etc - but when I do, I appreciate the ease of the old disc buring program. Now I've got a new Win7 system and love it for the power and flexibility it gives me in post processing...but it doesn't have a simple disc burning interface - it's actually a bit microsoftish (cumbersome and not quite 'there' yet, userwise). Short of going out and buying the Roxio or Nero software for music processing/etc that I don't want or need, but which does accomodate disc burning in multiple formats, does anybody have any suggestions/recommendations on simple, straight forward software programs for disc data burning? No movies, not MPanything, just RAW and JPEG files. PSE9, LR3, CNX2 all have an export option, but they are part of their processing workflow and are, from what I've been able to see in them, for the most part single photo oriented - i.e., not set up to shift a whole file of photos to a disc. Am I wrong or is there another simple solution here????

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated - Thanks much.

“There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept.”
— Ansel Adams

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 19-Oct-11 03:37 PM
11670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Burning to a Disc...Win7"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 19-Oct-11 03:37 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

You can use Windows Media Player in Windows 7 to burn discs. It's pretty straight forward, you simply click on the "Burn" tab and drag and drop your files into the Burn List.

You are not alone with this problem. Most CD/DVD burning utilities are now so bloated with unnecessary features it is very hard to find one that simply does what it is supposed to in an easy and efficient manner. I've tried them all, it seems like, and I finally settled on a little program that I use all the time. It's called CDBurner XP and it's free. Give it a try.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Wed 19-Oct-11 10:58 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Burning to a Disc...Win7"
In response to Reply # 1

Concord, US

Thanks much for your quick response - I checked out Windows Media Player and got the impression that it was focused at making DVDs that are playable on a TV-connected DVD player. I'll go back and check it out with more care. And thanks for the CDBurnerXP alternative. I'll spend a bit of time carefully checking it out.

I've always admired the time and care you give to your responses. Thanks much for your assistance. Nikonians have kept my fat from the fire more than once and I enjoy the opportunities to learn and participate. Photography would be a bit less fun without this community to turn to.

— Ansel Adams

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Wed 19-Oct-11 10:40 PM
2987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Burning to a Disc...Win7"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Hi there,
I've been using Nero for many years,
You can get a free download here,
http://www.nero.com/eng/downloads-nbl-free.php
Regards,
Gary

beachwalker Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2003Wed 19-Oct-11 11:01 PM
#4. "RE: Burning to a Disc...Win7"
In response to Reply # 2

Concord, US

Thanks for your suggestion - Nero was the first place I looked and I spent a bit of time going over this offer. I actually downloaded it and installed it but then found that it wasn't what I had hoped it would be. Even free, it wanted to take me places I didn't really want to go. But it's still installed so I'll give it another look - maybe I'm just missing something.

Again, thanks.

— Ansel Adams

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #66174 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.