Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #65443
View in linear mode

Subject: "Software to view metadata" Previous topic | Next topic
jdargo Registered since 10th Feb 2011Mon 14-Feb-11 04:30 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Software to view metadata"

US

Greetings. I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong forum but it seemed to fit in digital postprocessing. I am new to DSLR Photography and I am trying to learn how to actually take a good picture:) I have a basic understanding of ISO,aperture, Shutter speed. but I still have to tinker with the settings to get the desired look. What I am looking for is a way to view the metadata for my pictures (ISO,f/, shutter speed, etc.) while viewing the pics on my computer. I can see the data on my camera while looking through liveview but its cumbersome. Basic idea is to compare the settings I used for all of the bad exposures leading up to the one that worked! Any thoughts? I use iPhoto, so if anyone knows a way to access that, maybe a plugin, that will allow me to do that, or another program that will allow me to do that. Thanks in advance for any help!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

PhotoJim_60 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Aug 2008Mon 14-Feb-11 04:52 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Software to view metadata"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

PhotoJim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

I use and am a big fan of PhotoMechanic to upload, screen and rate my photo's for further processing as well as see photo metadata. They do have a trail offer to see how you like it.

jdargo Registered since 10th Feb 2011Mon 14-Feb-11 04:57 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Software to view metadata"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks PhotoJim!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 14-Feb-11 05:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Software to view metadata"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

For free, ExifTool by Phil Harvey can not be beat. Frequently updated and processes more than Nikon Nef, Tiff, & Jpeg. If you use Window, than add ExifTool GUI for Windows v4.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 14-Feb-11 10:50 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Software to view metadata"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 14-Feb-11 10:51 PM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

View NX2 from Nikon will show basic shooting information.

For more comprehensive information try PhotoMe. It is fantastic.

Both are free.

Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #65443 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.