nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #64940
View in linear mode

Subject: "X-Rite Color Checker Passport - Best Practices?" Previous topic | Next topic
scopeland Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2009Fri 15-Oct-10 09:20 PM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"X-Rite Color Checker Passport - Best Practices?"

Rochester, US

I recently picked up the Color Checker Passport in the hopes of improving overall color presentation in my images. I'd be very interested in hearing from those of you who are using this product to hear how you get the best results.

I'm using Lightroom 3 and the CCP allows you to create camera calibration profiles, which can then be applied to images. Is it best to create a new profile for each and every shoot? Or is it only necessary for each body, or body/lens combination? If it's necessary for every shoot, it seems like managing the list of profiles is going to become a pain pretty quickly.

On a more fundamental level, what is the difference between how the profile operates and setting the white balance correctly impacts images. Aren't both mean to create accurate colors?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Steve

Visit my Main site or my Sports site

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Robp Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Oct 2009Wed 20-Oct-10 01:03 AM
951 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: X-Rite Color Checker Passport - Best Practices?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

Steve, X-Rite provides excellent instruction on the use of their products that can be found at their site. Additionally they offer Webinars (on-line seminars) that are listed at:
http://xritephoto.com/ph_learning.aspx?action=webinars

One of those Webinars addressing your specific concerns with ColorChecker Passport is offered at 1:00 pm and again at 3:00 pm Eastern Time next Tuesday, October 26th. They are free, but you have to pre-register to attend. See:
http://xritephoto.com/ph_learning.aspx?action=webinars&eventid=871&eventdateid=4568 for the 1:00 pm time or
http://xritephoto.com/ph_learning.aspx?action=webinars&eventid=871&eventdateid=4569 for the 3:00 pm time slot.

Rob Puller
my Nikonians gallery

scopeland Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2009Wed 20-Oct-10 01:16 AM
279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: X-Rite Color Checker Passport - Best Practices?"
In response to Reply # 1

Rochester, US

Thanks Rob. I'll have to give those a try.

Visit my Main site or my Sports site

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #64940 Previous topic | Next topic