nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #62682
View in linear mode

Subject: "d5000 - ufraw - gimp workflow help" Previous topic | Next topic
Behrlich   US  Registered since 30th Dec 2009 Wed 30-Dec-09 01:50 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d5000 - ufraw - gimp workflow help"
Wed 30-Dec-09 01:52 PM by Behrlich

hello all and happy new year!

I'm new to the dslr world, but so far have been enjoying the heck out of our new d5000. My question concerns the workflow. Since I don't want to shell out for PS, etc. I use Gimp which has been great for my purposes, but I have one problem.

Since I'm learning how to shoot in RAW I'm using the Ufraw converter plugin with Gimp. However, when I load a RAW file into Ufraw the color is off and it's fuzzy, etc (sorry not very technical an explanation I know). When I convert it to TIFF then open it's fine, but that's more of a pain because I have to use Preview on my Macbook Pro (besides the TIFF file is much larger than the RAW file). I've heard about setting the ICC profile for the camera in Ufraw, but for the life of me can't find on the web those settings for the D5000.

If anyone could offer some assistance or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Best,
Brian

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

merlinus   Northern NM, US  Registered since 16th Apr 2009 Wed 30-Dec-09 10:48 PM
449 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d5000 - ufraw - gimp workflow help"
In response to Reply # 0

Give RawTherapee a try --

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

ALthough stand-alone, you can send images to GIMP as tiffs for further processing, if desired, via a push of a button.

-merlin

64-bit Ubuntu Linux - RawTherapee - GIMP

Visit my gallery | My Nikonians gallery

Behrlich   US  Registered since 30th Dec 2009 Wed 06-Jan-10 01:22 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d5000 - ufraw - gimp workflow help"
In response to Reply # 1

thanks Merlinus but I've got a Mac and it doesn't look like it's supported.

brian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Post-Processing & Workflow (Public) topic #62682 Previous topic | Next topic