nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #60737
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to blur the background in Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
dbpatterson Registered since 27th May 2009Mon 19-Oct-09 06:31 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to blur the background in Capture NX2"

BM

I am trying to blur the background in sport pictures so the athletes stand out. I am using Capture NX2. I thought that the free hand Lasso tool would work. I very careful draw around the image I wish to remain sharp, but once I complete the lasso it takes its own, more rounded form, not what I drew. So, I used the other lasso tool that allows you to draw around an image with a bunch of straight lines. I do this, but cannot figure out how to connect the first and last points together to give my shape. It will also take its own more rounded shape once complete.

The Blur effect does work when I apply it to the outside of the lasso, but it is frustrating that what I painstakingly draw does not stay once I am finished. Maybe I am approaching this incorrectly, or using the wrong tool.

Any help greatly appreciated

Visit my website at www.dougpattersonphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2
TiggerGTO Silver Member
19th Oct 2009
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
20th Oct 2009
PAStime Silver Member
20th Oct 2009
CTSean
20th Oct 2009
PAStime Silver Member
21st Oct 2009
robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Oct 2009
PAStime Silver Member
21st Oct 2009
22nd Oct 2009
dbpatterson
21st Oct 2009
22nd Oct 2009
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
19th Oct 2009
dbpatterson
19th Oct 2009
PAStime Silver Member
20th Oct 2009

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Mon 19-Oct-09 07:16 PM
2258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 19-Oct-09 07:17 PM by TiggerGTO

Apex, US

A much easier way might be to use control points to control where the blur affects the image. First, you would be to apply the blur you want to the whole picture, then with that edit step still active, use either + or - control points. Depending on your background, it may be easier to click on + control point and then start adding control points to the areas you want to blur. Conversely, it might be easier to click - and start adding control points to your athlete. You can add multiple + and - control points and you can expand and contract their effective size. You could also combine this with + or - brushes. Generally, using control points and brushes is far easier in NX2 than trying to draw a complex lasso.

Edited to fix a glaring typo.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Tue 20-Oct-09 05:43 AM
13277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

I agree with Danny. While the +/- brush is an easy and intuitive way to do it, the control points are more precise. The control point creates a mask that you can view and adjust simply. A few clicks is all it takes. That is why it beats doing this in Photshop hands down.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera"

Retirement is a gift of time - Don't waste it!

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 20-Oct-09 11:22 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 20-Oct-09 11:23 AM by PAStime

Kingston, CA

Hi Bob. Yes, I think the control points are very useful. I couldn't however get them to discriminate between the dog and the rest of the scene in my picture (previous post in this thread). I tried using many of them and using various sizes but without luck. I think the foreground and background colour/texture are too similar. Any thoughts? Cheers, Peter

CTSean Registered since 15th Oct 2008Tue 20-Oct-09 08:12 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 20-Oct-09 08:13 PM by CTSean

US

>I couldn't however get them to discriminate between
>the dog and the rest of the scene in my picture (previous post
>in this thread). I tried using many of them and using various
>sizes but without luck. I think the foreground and background
>colour/texture are too similar. Any thoughts? Cheers,
>Peter
>

I use the selection control points in conjuction with the "minus" brush for this.

Use the selection control point for the "main" selecting, then use the '-' brush to remove the selection from your main subject (or whatever else you don't want affected by the adjustment)

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 21-Oct-09 01:09 AM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>I use the selection control points in conjuction with the
>"minus" brush for this.

>Use the selection control point for the "main"
>selecting, then use the '-' brush to remove the selection from
>your main subject (or whatever else you don't want affected by
>the adjustment)

Aha! That is smart. I will need to try that. Thanks, Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Wed 21-Oct-09 06:12 AM
13277 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

Generally what you would do is apply the blur to the whole image and then place a minus control point right on the Dog. I have never had any problem doing this kind of manipulation. I select the mask view and move the selection point around until I get the exact selection I want.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 21-Oct-09 01:27 PM
#10. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

Kingston, CA

Hi Bob. I tried it and it worked well. It certainly is faster than painting with a brush. Just a minute or two and you are finished. What I like is, after blurring the whole image, one can add minus control points on objects that one wants to bring to the foreground or to the attention of the viewer. It still had some difficulty discriminating between the dog and background because of similar colours, but with a few added control points and appropriately sized, it looked great. Moreover, with a few extra minus control points on the dog's face and eyes, one can make this critical area the sharpest. Thanks! Peter

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 22-Oct-09 07:12 AM
#12. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 10

San Jose, US

Glad to be of help. NX2 is very powerful if you try not to do things the way you did in Adobe products. The results speak for themselves. I usually spend about 5 minutes per image tops.I am an advanced user of Photoshop and know how long it would take me to do the same thing there.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

dbpatterson Registered since 27th May 2009Wed 21-Oct-09 06:30 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 9

BM

Thanks for the advise. I have tried your suggestion and it is so much easier. Don't have to carefully use the paint tool around the edges. Just lay down the - control points and adjust sizes. GREAT TIP!

robsb Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his expertise in CNX2 and his always amicable and continuous efforts to help members Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Donor Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 23rd Aug 2006Thu 22-Oct-09 07:14 AM
#13. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

Glad to be of help. Ease of use is a key plus in NX2.

Bob Baldassano
My Nikonians Gallery

camera"

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Mon 19-Oct-09 07:32 PM
3333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I'd recommend just using the brush tool. The lasso tool simply constrains your selection tools.

As for the "rounding off" effect, I'll have to look into that.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Capture NX 2, and now Nik Silver Efex Pro

www.luminescentphoto.com

Read my blog

Listen to The Image Doctors

dbpatterson Registered since 27th May 2009Mon 19-Oct-09 11:54 PM
#3. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

BM

Thanks for the tips. I did find an article on how to do this using brushes. Much easier to do than using the lasso, but my program keeps crashing during the process. I am running snow leopard on my imac, and I think this may be the issue at the moment.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 20-Oct-09 12:39 AM
#4. "RE: How to blur the background in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

Interesting that you ask as I just tried this recently with the + brush in Capture NX2 and found it remarkably easy.

As you go along, adjust the brush size to get into tighter, smaller areas or paint large, open areas. It appears that effect application is not cumulative. What I mean: once you go over an area, it doesn't make a difference if you go over it again.

See below. First picture is the original. Second was done using the + brush to make the background black and white. The last is selectively applying Gaussian blur to the original with the + brush to create fake depth of field. To make it look more realistic I reduced the brush opacity near the foreground.

Lots of fun,
Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #60737 Previous topic | Next topic