Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #58866
View in linear mode

Subject: "GIMP" Previous topic | Next topic
Jammer1 Registered since 24th May 2009Fri 14-Aug-09 12:08 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"GIMP"

Greensboro, US

Does anyone know anything about GIMP? I am not in a position to buy CS4/ lightroom right now, and was wondering if this would sufice for right now. Thanks Jan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: GIMP
nwcs Silver Member
14th Aug 2009
Mark V
14th Aug 2009
Garry Fuller Silver Member
14th Aug 2009
pshnikchch Silver Member
14th Aug 2009
Chap Gold Member
21st Feb 2010
Garry Fuller Silver Member
22nd Feb 2010
Chap Gold Member
22nd Feb 2010
buffumjr
09th Oct 2013
buffumjr
09th Oct 2013
pshnikchch Silver Member
09th Oct 2013
buffumjr
10th Oct 2013
pshnikchch Silver Member
10th Oct 2013
buffumjr
22nd Oct 2013

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 14-Aug-09 12:44 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Gimp has a good reputation for being able to do a lot of things. Some people find the interface intuitive enough but many find it confusing. Myself, and maybe I'm biased after years of Photoshop, but I find it very confusing. But it is free and always worth a shot.

Mark V Registered since 18th Jun 2004Fri 14-Aug-09 01:33 AM
3386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

I have seen GIMP guide books in the book store.

Garry Fuller Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Fri 14-Aug-09 12:10 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 0

Wakefield, GB

Whilst still a novice at all of this I do use Gimp and find it great, I have not used Photoshop and so do not have to 'unlearn' menus, commands, shortcuts etc.

There are also a number of scripts (plug-ins in PS speak) which can do some interesting things.

Give it a go and save a bit of cash...

Once you have used Gimp for an hour or so you'll quickly find you can utilise many of the PS tutorials to be found on-line within Gimp, just the occasional bit of hunting within the Gimp menu to find the appropriate command but it is all there somewhere and the basics around layers etc apply equally to Gimp.

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Fri 14-Aug-09 09:25 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 14-Aug-09 09:28 PM by pshnikchch

Christchurch, NZ

>Does anyone know anything about GIMP? I am not in a position
>to buy CS4/ lightroom right now, and was wondering if this
>would sufice for right now. Thanks Jan
>

I have used GIMP for a few years for general image manipulation and currently as a backup to Capture NX2. However with the superb functionality of Capture NX2 I very rarely need an alternative.

For me, the only shortcoming of GIMP is it not being able to edit 16 bit per channel images(48bits). The developers are currently in the process of rectifying this but I don't know when a 16bit version will be released.

If you give GIMP a good weeks trial I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

PETER

http://www.pastoralsystems.co.nz/photography/

Chap Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2009Sun 21-Feb-10 09:19 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

Someone just recommended GIMP to me. Do you know if it is a "loss-less" software such as is Lightroom, CS4, etc.? Thanks!

Debbie "Chap" Chapman

Garry Fuller Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Mar 2009Mon 22-Feb-10 12:02 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 5

Wakefield, GB

No, GIMP is not lossless in the true sense of the word. It is quite possible to destroy pixels in GIMP which are unrecoverable once you have saved the file.

I suggest you only work on copies of images and when in GIMP use layers. Using layers means it is easier to undo pixel blasting edits until you save the file. Having the original untouched means you always have something to go back to if you mess up the copy you are working on.

This advice would be the same if you were using a similar program such as Photoshop Elements.

I have never used CS4 and so do not know for sure if this is lossless but I do know that Lightroom does indeed offer a lossless workflow.

Hope this helps.

Chap Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2009Mon 22-Feb-10 07:04 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 6

Houston, US

Thanks, Garry. Yes, that helps and answers my question. I appreciate your taking time to reply.

Debbie "Chap" Chapman

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 09-Oct-13 07:11 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 7

US

As I have only a couple of weeks in Elements 10, I'll give GiMP a try.

Any feedback on whether it does any kind of HDR or any kind of blending?

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Wed 09-Oct-13 11:17 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Does the Nikonians system have a GiMP forum?

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Wed 09-Oct-13 11:59 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 4

Christchurch, NZ

An update - Oct 2013.

There are currently 16 bit per channel (and more) alpha/beta versions of Gimp around as 2.9. The formal release will be 2.10

I routinely use the Mac OS X 2.9 version. It's stable enough for my very specific use. All indications are that the final release will be very good.

If you want to play with the 2.9 versions be warned. Use copies of images!

When required (not often), using CNX 2 I export the NEFs as 16bit TIFFs and edit the TIFFs in GIMP.

Peter

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Thu 10-Oct-13 01:02 AM
#11. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Is there a Gimp support forum on Nikonians?

pshnikchch Silver Member Nikonian since 16th May 2007Thu 10-Oct-13 01:17 AM
#12. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 11
Thu 10-Oct-13 01:18 AM by pshnikchch

Christchurch, NZ

>Is there a Gimp support forum on Nikonians?

Don't know.

To find out, check out the Nikonians Forums Lobby which is linked at the top and bottom of this page.

There is a considerable amount of user information and support for GIMP on the web. A simple search will reveal it.

Good luck.

Peter

buffumjr Registered since 05th Jun 2013Tue 22-Oct-13 12:35 PM
#13. "RE: GIMP"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 22-Oct-13 12:38 PM by buffumjr

US

>>Is there a Gimp support forum on Nikonians?
>
>Don't know.
>
>To find out, check out the Nikonians Forums Lobby which is
>linked at the top and bottom of this page.
>
>There is a considerable amount of user information and support
>for GIMP on the web. A simple search will reveal it.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Peter
>
>

Didn't find one, there. The "Workflow" forum has Gimp threads.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Digital postprocessing & workflow (Public) topic #58866 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.